Wednesday 30 March 2011

Back to Tasmania

Well next week I’m off to Launceston, Tasmania for a few days.  Unfortunately it is a business trip assisting the state rail operator with their safety management system.  I find Tasmania an interesting contrast to the mainland of Australia.  The climate is more temperate and there are definitely four seasons.  The scenery is reminiscent of New Zealand except for the native trees.

Launceston is particularly picturesque with many fine historic buildings.  A couple of interesting facts; it was the first Australian city to have underground sewers and the first city to be lit by hydroelectricity.  It was named after Launceston in Cornwall.  I usually enjoy an evening stroll along the banks of the Tamar River.  Cataract Gorge is another interesting walk and the site of an early hydroelectric scheme. 

I suspect the thing I like the most about Launceston is the city is located on steep hills.  It reminds me of Wellington, the capital city of New Zealand.  There are not many capital cities in Australia that are built on hills.  Actually most of Australia is flat!

In two weeks I head to Perth in Western Australia.  But that is another story!

No comments :