Sunday 27 November 2011

What a Mess

Today I pulled up the floor.  Unsurprisingly there was quite a mess!  The floor has to be replaced as it’s shutter ply rather than the boil-proof ply I had specified.  It had also “sprung” which would have created havoc with the vinyl flooring.
On pulling up the second piece of ply I noticed there was no Kingspan insulation underneath.
My initial assumption was this had been done deliberately to allow access for “trim ballast” once the boat had been completed.  Then I realised the section of floor was located underneath a wall partition.  As I removed more of the ply I discovered more missing insulation. 
Notice how much building debris has been left in the bilge.  There were two empty Red Bull cans and a considerable quantity of wood shaving, sawdust, screws, etc.  In many instances the drain points between the steel floor joists and the sides of the hull were blocked and all the debris was wet and rusting the baseplate.  I’m not even sure if the baseplate has been given a protective coating.
This insulation panel had collapsed during installation and no attempt had been made to rectify the defect.
I spent most of the afternoon sweeping and cleaning the bilge.  Tomorrow I’ll use the heaving industrial vacuum cleaner to remove all remaining loose matter.
I want to get the condition of the baseplate back to the same standard as the area I’ve already cleaned in the rear of the boat.
Richard, the joiner, informs me the timber capping on the steel joists will need to be replaced as it isn’t tanalised.  I’ll also ask Andy where we should consider having the baseplate grit blasted back to bare metal when we have the exterior of the shell done.

6 comments :

Bruce in Sanity said...

Hi

Tim normally supplies the shell with a coat of Comastic on the inside of the baseplate and on the cross members.

Cheers

Bruce

Tom and Jan said...

Hi Bruce

Yes, I can see something has been coated onto the steel. However a large amount of rubbish has subsequently been left in the bilge. It subsequently got soaked with water and has started to rot. This has "lifted" the Comastic off the steel in many places.

I'm attempting to dry out the bilge and will then look at recoating the afftected areas.

Bruce in Sanity said...

Since you are having to redo it, a vehicle underseal like Waxoyl ism probably more effective,as it's self healing.

Cheers

Bruce

David said...

Hi Tom

I'll second the Waxoyl recomended by Bruce. So long as it is dry it will coat and hold on most surfaces. I sprayed it into the void between the fuel tanks on T-A in the belief it will slowly creep to cover any small areas I missed.

David

nb piston broke said...

Its obvious the majority of builders are of the same mind set "out of sight out of mind" As we also found to our cost, however this can all be put right in time to the standards that you and I would expect. Paul

Tom and Jan said...

Well at least the builge is drying out nicely!