Sunday 19 April 2015

Blog Question

Am I the only one to notice how slow loading a blog can be if it is written using Wordpress or has it’s own internet address?  Blogger seems to load so much faster.  Oops… we have our own IP blog address….. Do readers have problems loading our blog?

You may have noticed the delay in the posting of the more recent blog entries.  We have discovered the internet speed in this area is very slow after 3pm. Consequentially we have changed the publishing time to the morning.  Hopefully things will return to normal once we have moved on.

The mooring outside The Moorhen pub proved to be surprisingly quiet.  Perhaps the falling mercury persuaded the patrons to stay indoors rather than frequenting the beer garden.

There Is a marina just along from our mooring.  I suspect it belongs to CRT as it shares the CRT facilities alongside the canal river.  The name isn’t on the Waterway Routes canal map so I might do some further exploring to see if I can find out more details.  During the walk yesterday evening I ended up near the retail park noticing a Homebase, Hobbycraft, Dunelm Mill, B&Q, Sports Direct, etc.  Jan was interested in visiting Dunelm Mill so we walked back this morning only to find they are still fitting out the store with an opening date of 20 May.  B&Q and Homebase couldn’t provide what we wanted and Sports Direct didn’t have the shoes I was looking for.  This afternoon I walked in to Harlow to visit the second Sports Direct outlet.

Harlow is part old town and part new town.  It was one of the new satellite towns built after WW2 to provide accommodation for displaced London citizens that had been bombed out.  The ‘new town’ was designed in 1947 with construction commencing shortly thereafter.  There must have been another burst of building during the 60s-70s and then a third burst in the last few years.  I base this on the types of construction that can be seen in the town centre.

Very 40s-50s looking buildings constructed around an open central square.  The design reminds me of that concrete toilet block in London known as NZ House which was built in the late 50s.

You might notice in the above photo that there is no square, nor are there many windows on the second floor. 

In the last photo above the shopping area looks like any other modern precinct.

11 comments :

nb Achernar said...

Recently your blog was quite slow to load the pictures for me but I thought it was a problem at my end. This morning however your blog loaded instantly including all pictures if that helps. Phil.

Tom and Jan said...

Hi Phil,
Thanks for the information. We are currently experiencing very slow internet speed except in the morning. We are using Blogger but have our own IP address which then redirects to the Google server (ie, blogger). I was wondering whether our IP server was a choke point but it seems as if that isn't the case.

Diane and Ray said...

Hi Tom, no problem loading your blog either. It is more dependent on our own internet speed which we now check with the Ookla app which I read about on Inca's blog D& R

Tom and Jan said...

Hi Diane & Ray,

I'm starting to think there are two issues. Ours is a current slow speed from Three because they are using "trafficsense" at certain times to share the limited bandwidth. I think the Google servers are fast so if you use Blogger then the blog should load quickly. However if you are using another server provider (eg, not google blogger) then you might have limited bandwidth which is slowing down the loading of the blog. Hence my query regarding blogs using Wordpress or their own server.

KevinTOO said...

Morning Tom,
No problems noticed by me at this end :) I am using a Virgin Cable/Wifi connection through to a Windows 7 laptop into good old IE11.
Kevin

Tom and Jan said...

Hi Kevin

I think our problem is the speed at our end. But I am curious that Wordpress blogs load slowly for us!

Wozie said...

I follow your blog but your pictures are large and don't all come up for me.
We are on blogger too and I purposely make my pics small, but if you click on them they enlarge.
nb Oakfield

Pip and Mick said...

We use Wordpress Tom and don't have many problems whilst editing our blogs. Sometimes we have the same general problems that you experience with Three. I think it depends on where you are and when the kids get home from school. I'm thinking of investigating EE.

Tom and Jan said...

Hi Pip & Mick,
Yes I know you use Wordpress and unfortunately yours is one of the blogs we sometimes have difficulty loading. The Blogger blogs might load quickly but the Wordpress blogs can be very slow or occasional won't load.

I suspect there are two main issues. Sometimes we have a very slow speed from 3 and sometimes the Wordpress blogs are slow.

Tom and Jan said...

Hi Pip & Mick,
Yes I know you use Wordpress and unfortunately yours is one of the blogs we sometimes have difficulty loading. The Blogger blogs might load quickly but the Wordpress blogs can be very slow or occasional won't load.

I suspect there are two main issues. Sometimes we have a very slow speed from 3 and sometimes the Wordpress blogs are slow.

Tom and Jan said...

Wozie,

The blog photos are reduced in size (600x500 pixels) and resolution (300dpi). This reduces their size from 1.5Mb to 456kb. They are then added to Live Writer. By reducing the photo size and resolution before being added to the post they can't be made any bigger or smaller.