Thursday 28 December 2023

Bike Repair Kit

For the last three weeks a bad right knee has prevented me from taking the bike for a ride.  I'm getting "twitchy" with the restriction!  We both have appointments with our doctor in early January and I will be requesting a prescription for some of his magic tablets.  I last used them for the same knee issue two years ago and was very happy with the almost instantaneous relief.

Although I can't ride the bike, it hasn't stopped me from cleaning and doing some maintenance.  During this period I removed the contents of my repair kit which fits in a small bag under the saddle.

bike repair kit

To the left I have a small container that holds my puncture patches, glue and a small rasp.  The blue tyre levers fit on top of the container.  Next is the 8mm Hex (Allen) key which fits the securing screws on the cranks and the bolt that holds the bike stand.  Below them is a cut down 15mm ring spanner that is required for the 15mm rear axle nuts.  There is a multitool at the top right with a spare inner tube below. 

original multitool

The multitool has five Hex keys (5,4,3,2.5,2mm) a cross tip and flat tip screwdriver. A square shaft (green arrow) and three sockets (10,9,8mm).  The last tool (re arrow) is a combination wrench (15,10,8mm)

You might have wondered why I have the cut down 15mm spanner when the multitool wrench has a 15mm cut out.  The answer to that is the multitool wrench doesn't fit the 15mm axle nut.  It's on the wrong side of the tool to tighten the nuts.

Reflecting on the contents of my repair kit I realised I'm missing what might be an essential tool.  A chain breaker and replacement chain link.  If the bike chain was to break or be damaged I currently have no way of repairing it.

One option would be to add a chain breaker and spare chain link to the kit.  But the repair bag is already very full.  Looking at my existing repair kit I don't need the wrench, sockets and socket shaft.

I've come to the conclusion I erred in my judgement with the selection of my multitool.  In my defence it was purchased before I fitted the Shimano Alfine 11 speed internally geared hub; which resulted in the 15mm axle nuts.  Moreover, it wasn't until I converted the bike to an e-bike and subsequently added the bike stand, that I needed the 8mm Hex key.

My solution is to consider replacing the existing multitool with the one below at a cost of A$6.25 from Aliexpress.

chain tool 

The tool doesn't have the sockets and wrench.  It does have an 8mm Hex Key (left arrow) and a chain breaker (right arrow).

Replacing the original multitool reduces the total number of tools carried by one (the 8mm Hex Key) whilst including the missing chain breaker.

3 comments :

Paul (from Waterway Routes) said...

The tyre levers look like plastic which will snap at the most inconvenient moment. I used to carry metal ones which were actually stronger, thinner and lighter.

I now have solid tyres which means I don't have the inconvenience of any punctures and I don't have to carry a spare inner tube or relevant tools.

Tom and Jan said...

Hello Paul,
Yes, the levers are plastic. I've used them numerous times with no apparent issues. The days of sneaking into mum's kitchen and "borrowing" a couple of spoons have passed :-) Solid tyres here are approx $80 ea. With the annual distance I'm currently doing I wear out two sets of tyres. Do you have to replace the entire tyre or just an "inner"?
PS. No flat tyres since I changed to a thicker tyre and "thornless" tubes.

Happy New Year!

Tom

Tom and Jan said...

I've researched the tyres and they are rather expensive. Unlike the towpath, there are no large thorns here. Since fitting thicker tyres and "thorn resistant" tubes I haven't experienced a puncture!