Tuesday 9 July 2024

Faulty Drone Battery

According to the manual one of our two drone batteries has developed a fault and needs to be replaced.  The battery no longer charges and a fault is displayed by the four LEDs flashing alternately in pairs. 

faulty

These batteries are not cheap and I am loathed to purchase a replacement.  One of the things I noticed with lithium batteries is they can get confused (layman term) and aren’t really defective.  They just need to be reset.

The base and top of the battery are joined together with six small screws (one hidden) and some glue

base

After removing the six screws I used my knife to cut the glue separating the top from the base.  The two small screw securing the ribbon cable to the top were then removed allowing the top to be set to one side

opened

Pushing up from the base I was able to raise the four lithium cells and gain access to a small multi-pin plug.  The plug was secured into its socket with glue which I cut with my knife before removing the plug.  This disconnected the battery cells from the circuit board

plug

After waiting 30 seconds I inserted the plug back into the socket before plugging the battery into the charger to test if the fault had been cleared.

test

The battery appeared to no be charging correctly.

The battery was then reassembled and placed back on charge.  I noticed it was showing 75% charged and assumed one of the four cells may have contributed to the fault. 

charging

Once the battery is fully charged I’ll insert it into the drone and complete a detailed status check using the drone controller.

No comments :