Saturday 28 September 2024

Rotterdam to Hull

After worrying all night about the bike being at the railway station I was up early and swiftly on my way to check if it was still there and OK.  Yes… sigh of relief!  With the bike back at the hotel foyer I packed my panniers and headed out of the city.  Only a short ride of approximately 50km to the village of Brielle (left arrow below).  Reaching it involved detouring off the direct route to the P&O terminal, but I have plenty of time.

ferry map

Reluctantly I used Google Maps to navigate my way out of Rotterdam.  The directions from Google had me going around a small boat harbour then across a bridge over the river.  Being the Netherlands there was a good cycle path.  Moreover all the motorist are very mindful of cyclists and give way!

The boat harbour was picturesque BUT there was no bridge across the river.

IMG20240901125346

I was in the midst of cursing Google when I noticed in the distance three dismounted cyclist standing in front of a grey door.  The door opened and they disappeared.  It was a lift!  There is no bridge.  It’s a pedestrian and cycle tunnel under the river!

IMG20240901130508

Cycling along the south bank of the river was rather uninteresting.  Numerous cargo terminals and petrochemical plants.

On turning south I passed over a canal to reach a more rural region, eventually reaching my destination, Brielle.  What an attractive little village where cycling is the main form of transport.

I found a small hotel down a side street and before paying for a room ask if they had secure bike storage?  Of course they did… the Netherlands is cycling paradise.

After securing the bike in their locked courtyard, I went for a walk around the village noticing someone’s pride and joy in a suburban street.

IMG20240901171905IMG20240901171006

A good night of sleep not worrying about the bike. 

The next day I slowly cycled to the P&O Terminal arriving just before boarding commenced, only to find a long queue of vehicles.  Eventually I reached the front of the queue and provided my passport and booking number (on my phone) to the lady in the booth.  What a shock when she informed me I wasn’t booked on the ferry.   Somehow I’d managed to book from Hull to Rotterdam rather than Rotterdam to Hull.  There was even more concern when she then informed me the sailing was fully booked.  Then she took pity on me and suggested I cycle to the main ferry office and ask if they could assist me.

Off I cycled only to find a long queue of elderly foot passengers attempting to board.

Finally I was at the front of the queue and after considerable and pitiful whining, grovelling and abasing they found me a cabin.  I then had to cycle back to the check-in booth before going through immigration and customs to board.  It was actually quite a nice cabin… with a window!IMG20240903064124

Departure wasn’t until 8pm so I wandered around the ship along with all the other passengers.

The next morning I woke a 5am and decided to have breakfast when the restaurant opened at 6am.

There was no one around!

IMG20240903060015IMG20240903060038IMG20240903060102

Then I noticed a clock on the wall.  It was 4am.   A one hour time zone change for the UK.

At 7am I was packing the panniers as the ‘Maid of Rotterdam’ sailed up the Humber for an 8am arrival.

Back in England.  Cold, grey sky and threatening to rain (it did)

IMG20240903064134  

My 2024 European cycling trip is over.

Reflections

  • The Netherlands cycling infrastructure is excellent.
  • Namur to Dinant in Belgium was very attractive.
  • I probably would have enjoyed the very hilly Ardennes if it hadn’t been raining.
  • The path beside the River Saar between Saarbrucken and Luxembourg was scenic.
  • Switzerland was very scenic but also very expensive.
  • I enjoyed riding the north bank of Lake Constance
  • Much of the EV15 (Rhine) route wasn’t what I had been expecting.  Little scenery or industrial.  Only the part between Mainz and Cologne was particularly enjoyable.
  • Almost everyone I conversed with spoke English.
  • The vast majority of cyclist were riding ebikes. 
  • Would I do the trip again?  No!  There are other areas in Europe I’d like to see.

No comments :