Thursday 10 March 2022

Tarzan and Size Matters (sometimes)

It’s been six months since the 4WD was serviced.  The manufacturer’s specifications state 12 months between services, but I’ve never trusted vehicle design engineers.  The manufacturers are in competition with each other and servicing is a cost.  Extending the service interval reduces the owners costs.  However there is also a risk for the manufacturer should there be a service related defect during the warranty period and I suspect the clever engineers have been able to design the vehicle to just last the warranty period.  It’s what I would do!  So I’ve always done an oil and filter change in the middle of the scheduled servicing period in an effort to extend the life of the vehicle.

This morning the 4WD was driven onto the ramps in the garage before I drained the oil.  Then I removed the oil filter.   Actually I didn’t at first because Tarzan had fitted it!  I huffed and puffed taking regular rests before eventually removing it.

P1010877

You can see how much I had to mangle it in the removal process.  I always spin the filters on and then tighten them a further quarter turn.  Tarzan must have the arms of a gorilla. 

One of my problems is the filter’s location.  It’s a confined space with little manoeuvre room for a filter wrench.

P1010878

Looking up from under the vehicle

With the filter replaced I went to add the new oil.  Tarzan had also tightened the filler plug.

P1010879

I had to use a spanner to loosen it.  In the past an oil change would take me two hours.  This time it took most of the morning.  Am I getting old?

Size Matters (sometimes)

Two deliveries from Aliexpress.  Both for the router table.  The ‘feather boards’ were so long in arriving that I’d almost reached the date where I lodge a dispute and claim a refund.

P1010880

The second package contained the nut knobs ordered for the router fence. 

P1010883

Finger for size guide

They are considerably smaller than I’d anticipated.  Looking at the picture on Aliexpress doesn’t give a good idea of dimensions.  However I think they will work.  I also needed some M6 countersunk bolts 45mm long.  The nearest length was 50mm so I cut 5mm off the end of each with the angle grinder.

P1010884

P1010885P1010886

Loosening the knobs enables the sacrificial timber face on the router fence to be adjusted.

Size didn’t matter.  The same couldn’t be said for the feather boards which came with T Track bolts

P1010881P1010882

The head of the bolt is too small for the T Track.  I’m working on a solution.

This is how the feather boards should be fitted.

P1010887

The are supposed to hold the timber firmly against the router fence as it gets fed past the bit.  In this case size does matter!

3 comments :

Ade said...

Just the right size washer Tom on the T track head?

Tom and Jan said...

No Ade,
A profile square nut

Ade said...

Sorted! Hope that was easy enough.
Cheers