Tuesday 5 September 2023

Modifications and Preparations

In 2018 I had settled on the make and style of off road trailer I would buy.  I would then modify to my own requirements.  I'd already decided to carry the required equipment and supplies in wooden boxes which I promptly made from plywood.  The boxes were actually made prior to the delivery of the trailer.

Roll forward the clock four years and I'd identified a problem with my initial box design.  They all have top lids which meant they needed to be removed from the trailer to gain access to the contents.  This actually wasn't an issue with two of the boxes as they contained equipment I rarely required.  However the box closest to the tailgate and immediately behind the kitchen contained my cooking pots.

It would be much easier to gain regular access to the contents of this box if it was front opening.  Moreover it wouldn't need to be removed from the trailer.

Over the last couple of days I made a new box.

 

P1020946

Making an internal top drawer has  given me more storage

P1020947

Now the contents are accessible inside the trailer

P1020948

Taiwan

I'm returning to Taiwan for another cycling holiday.  This time there will be some changes.  First, I will endeavour to go slower and see more of the people and country.  Last year I was too focussed on circumnavigating the island! 

The second change is I will not take the one wheel bike trailer.  On the last trip I took a tent, sleeping bag and air mattress in anticipation I might need to use campsites.  That never eventuated once I realised accommodation was plentiful, clean and reasonably priced.  This time those three bulky items won't be taken.  I've also now weighed the empty trailer and realised it takes almost half my airline checked luggage allowance. 

On this trip I will take a rear bike rack and panniers.  Both items purchased from Aliexpress.

P1020934

The rack has quick release catches for easy installation and removal.  It's also rated at 100kg.  Not that I intend to carry that much!

The panniers are made by RockBros and have a capacity of 17 litres each.   They have a quick release system.

P1020943    

P1020956

Apart from my laptop, the panniers have been filled with everything I will require whilst cycling.  I'm now cycling around the local area to see if the new setup works for me.

You might also have noticed the twin red water bottle holders behind the saddle.  During the last trip I carried my water in a bladder which was inside a small backpack.  It didn't take me long to realise the pack made my back very sweaty. 

The bike has now travelled almost 10,000km and I decided to change the front and rear hydraulic brake fluid.  I used the 'gravity' method.  Fresh brake fluid goes into a small reservoir attached to the brake handle.

P1020952

The wheel and brake pads are removed.  A special brake block is then fitted to ensure the brake pistons don't pop out.  Rather than purchase one I made a block from a small plywood offcut.

P1020953-2

The old fluid is captured in a plastic bag which was secured to the bike with a length of wire.

P1020954-3

When the valve the the brake pad end is opened the fluid drains into the bag and is replaced with clean fluid from the reservoir.

P1020955-5 

I was quite surprised how clean the original fluid was give it's been used for 10,000km.

The final pre-trip maintenance task was to complete an oil change on the Alfine internally geared rear hub.  That oil was dirty!  I've been replacing the hub oil every 2000km although the manufacturer recommends every 5000km.  It only takes 50ml of oil and I bought a one litre bottle for $14, so the oil change is very inexpensive.

1 comment :

Jenny said...

How exciting, planning for another overseas bike trip!