Friday 8 March 2024

Re-positioning the Bags

After making several cycling trips with the loaded new front pannier bags attached it became apparent they were adversely affecting the bike balance and steering.  I could probably have accustomed myself to the imbalance, but decided to see if the bags could be re-positioned.

P1030712

In the above photo you can see the bags were originally attached to the top of the front carrier rack.

This next photo shows them attached to the lower horizontal carrier bar.

P1030720 

This lower bar isn't parallel to the ground and consequentially the bags are on an angle.  The original purpose of the lower bar is to both prevent the bags touching the front wheel and provide a lower anchor support for the bag. 

However in this lower position the bags can't touch the wheel as the bottom of the bag rests against the arm of the bike fork.   I was concerned the bags might flap around, but that hasn't happened.

The steering and balance has significantly improved and I'm now regularly going on training rides with all four loaded bags attached to the bike.

Planning for the long cycling trip continues as I research more detail.   An accurate gpx track for EuroVelo 15 (The Rhine Route) has been completed.  I'm now adding camping grounds as waypoints.

Eurovelo 5 is slightly more problematic.  The start point is Canterbury, UK and the finish is Brindisi, in southern Italy.  It reputedly follows the original pilgrims route to Rome.  However there are numerous sections of the route that are undeveloped.  I have assumed this means there is no designated cycle path.  Consequentially I've been examining maps and tracing out my own route between the developed sections.   One of my route criteria is to avoid, where possible, main roads.  I've been assisted with this by using Hike and Bike country maps downloaded from the internet.  These are then installed into the Garmin Mapsource or BaseCamp programs.   To identify places of interest and campsites I'm using the Open Street Map and Google Maps. 

After my experience cycling in Taiwan I don't trust Google Maps for route planning.  However it is useful to find campsites, along with their contact details.

My search for a suitable ebike battery continues.   I've also done some preliminary research on flights.   The bare bike weighs 24.5Kg.  To this I need to add the components removed from the bike for air travel, along with my panniers and gear.  Consequentially I'll need a baggage allowance of two bags with a combined weight of not less than 40Kg.  The options are to fly Economy class and pay for excess baggage, or upgrade to  Premium economy which has a greater baggage allowance (depending upon the airline).  The cost of economy plus excess baggage is very similar to premium economy.  Any fool can be uncomfortable and I'll probably travel using the latter.   Cathay Pacific looks like the best option.

Still to be identified:

  • Best mobile phone plan
  • Preferred options for crossing the English Channel

4 comments :

Pip and Mick said...

Hi Tom

I've heard of people nowadays downloading an E-Sim for travelling in different countries. Is your phone capable of using such a thing? You'll only need one for the whole of Europe but since the delights of Brexit you'll need a separate one for the UK. Roaming between the two is now expensive.

Tom and Jan said...

Hi Mick,

Our 'new' Oppo phones are not e-sim capable :-(

I'm looking for a suitable EU SIM plan

tom

Dave said...

Have a look at https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mobiles/cheap-roaming-calls/ it will offer advise and links

O2 still offer free EU roaming as part of a plan but TBH i would work out what data/calls.texts you will need and buy a pay as you go sim lasting a month or two when you get to UK and maybe a separate one when in the EU

Tom and Jan said...

Working on a solution Dave. Thanks for the link!