Friday 12 April 2024

An error I won't repeat!

First evening on my Easter 4WD trip and I decided to use the new Insta360 camera to record activity at the campsite.  The camera was fitted to the extended selfie stick which was then fitted onto the tripod.  My thinking was it would be sufficiently high enough to capture quasi drone footage.

I had just walked to the opposite side of the camper trailer when there was a strong gust of wind followed by a crash.  The wind had blown over the tripod.  That's an error I won't repeat.

Two days after my return from the trip whilst attempting to edit something useful from my recorded trip videos (I'm a poor photographer) I noticed a blur in some of the recorded scenes.

After examining the camera I realised one of the two lenses had been scratch.  Probably when the tripod fell over.

P1030781 

Replacing the lens requires it be sent to the USA at a cost of approximately US$200 plus shipping.

I started thinking about polishing the scratches out.  With nothing to lose, I researched polishing glass and identified cerium oxide powder can be used.  The only supplier appeared to be Amazon and the powder was expensive.  Further searching identified a supplier on Temu.  At $15.99 with free shipping it was a financially viable option.   The order was delivered last night, less than a week after placing the order!  

P1030780

The pads are far too large to use on the small camera lens.   It's the powder I need.

I masked around a scratched lens with paint masking tape.

P1030782

I remember being in a UK Lidl eight years ago and seeing a small battery powered Dremel.  I said to myself "That might be useful one day!"

P1030785

I even bought the case of additional accessories

P1030783

Of course I haven't used the Dremel in years and consequentially the rechargeable battery was flat. 

I'll let you know whether the plan works.  If it doesn't I'll have to examine replacing the lens.

No comments :