Sunday 7 August 2011

Blackberries

Plymouth has a good sized park just north of the main railway station.  It’s aptly named Central Park and I have been walking around it on a reasonably frequent basis.

Image from Google Earth

In the south east corner is an adjacent cemetery.  Actually it’s Ford Park Cemetery and was established in 1846 <click here>.

A few days ago I came upon an area of allotments in the north-east corner.  For non UK readers an allotment is a piece of rented ground used by individuals to grow produce for personal consumption.  I assume this is because most homes don’t have a backyard of sufficient size.

Anyway, the boundary fence around the allotments was overgrown with wild blackberries and they were starting to ripen.  So the following morning I went to Wilkinsons and purchased a cheap (99p) pair of leather faced gardening gloves and then headed for the park with a plastic bag and an empty 2 litre ice cream container.

Having done all the hard and dangerous work I asked Jan if she could convert them into something more eatable. 

The jam has a delicious tang (perhaps due to the dogs cocking their legs on the lower berries! - I just added that piece of information so I won’t have to share with Jan).  Actually they are so darned nice I’ve been back for a second 2 litre container and will probably go back for a third and fourth time.  Jan informs me “No more blackberries as we don’t have any spare glass jars!”   However I’m of the opinion the berries can be frozen whilst I attempt to eat the contents of the required number of jars!

3 comments :

Paul said...

Hi Tom and Jan,

I like your hedgerow foraging and making something out of what you found post. Is that a Blackberry Crumble you have made???

Look out for Sloe berries to make Sloe Gin for Xmas, and also hazel nuts and Chestnuts around September/October time.

Ive read your blog for a while and can only say it can only get better from here on,,, thats just how I like to look at things.

Regards
Paul

Tom and Jan said...

Before we left Oz Jan bought a book from the UK on hedgerow cooking. Unfortunately there was no room in the suitcase so we are going to have to experiment!
I have the role as chief taster:-()

Paul said...

Ah ha, You must make Sloe Gin production a top priority if you are the chief taster, The books say it takes months for the flavour to mature. That gives you months to perfect the recipy. ;-)