Friday 11 March 2016

Lymm

Finding a mooring in Lymm has been considerably easier than two years ago.  Obviously it’s the quiet time of year and no doubt things will be different at Easter.  We had a choice of moorings opting to stay on the towpath side.

IMG_8980

Perhaps you recognise the wide beam moored behind us.

IMG_8991

Lois & Tim on Millie Maize.  Our last meeting with them was on the Bridgewater at Plank Lane some two years ago.

Today we had a leisurely walk around the village buying fresh bread from the bakery and sausages from the butcher, followed by lunch at the Spread Eagle Hotel.  Afterwards son and I went for a local walk.  First it was south around Lymm Dam.  I covered this same area last time Jan and I were here.

IMG_8981IMG_8982IMG_8983

St Mary’s Church

Then we crossed back over the canal heading north to the Manchester Ship Canal.  The route took us over what can only be a former railway alignment.

IMG_8995

The alignment is shown as a public footpath on the OSM but no name is provided?  The western end appears to finish at Warrington.  We continued north eventually reaching the ship canal.

IMG_8993

I noticed a large pine tree during our walk back to the railway footpath.

IMG_8994

It was the ladder up the side and the antennas in the foliage that gave away the fact it’s actually a disguised mobile phone tower.  However I couldn’t understand the need to disguise it out in the countryside?

And I finally managed to get a photo of one of these.  Usually by the time I have the camera up to my eye they have either flown away or turned their back on me.

IMG_9002

No comments :