Wednesday 5 February 2020

We are not paying that much!

The blade on the lawn edger has worn out and today we visited the hardware for a replacement blade.  They had them in stock but I wasn’t going to pay $29.95 for a piece of flat steel with a hole in it; no matter how fancy and colourful the blister pack!. 

IMG_4305

The old blade.  Probably half the length of when it was purchased.

Poor Jan got dragged down to the steel area in the store where I found a 2 metre length of flat steel of the same width and thickness for $11.25

IMG_4306

Once back home I cut 240mm off one end with the Aldi angle grinder.

IMG_4307

There is enough flat bar left for another seven blades.  However I’ll probably use the bar on the trailer.

I used the gauge callipers from Aldi to measure the diameter of the original hole before drilling a hole in my new blade (Aldi step drill bit…. love Aldi).

Then I ground an edge on each end of the flat bar using the bench grinder and a flat file.

IMG_4308

The last step was to fit it to the lawn edger.

IMG_4309

Total cost somewhere under $1.50.

No comments :