Saturday 10 February 2024

Damn Electronics

My knowledge of electronics is very limited.  My brother is the electronics engineer in the family!

This brings me to my current problem with our grandson's yacht diy AIS Transmitter project.  I've been able to work out a method for powering the device remotely.  However it also need to be able to turn it on/off remotely.  The problem is the existing switch on the transmitter.  It's a magnetic switch!

P1030705

There is a magnetic sensor on the end of the printed circuit board.  I'm guessing it is some type of reed switch. 

P1030706

Embedded in the back of the rotary switch is a small piece of metal.  When the rotary switch is in the ON position the metal is away from the switch and the LED illuminates. 

P1030707

Simply removing the rotary switch means the transmitter is always ON.

I could glue the small piece of metal to the magnetic switch but the transmitter would then be always OFF.  Obviously I need to identify how to bypass the magnetic switch.  This is where my lack of electronics is exposed.

In the photo below the lower red arrow points to the pos & neg terminals from the battery.  I can't put a switch into the positive connection (wire) as the transmitter will still receive power from the main supply.  I suspect upper red arrow might point to the component that needs to be switched?

P1030708

If I can't figure this out there is a fallback option.  I could remotely switch both the power from the batteries in the device and the 12V supply going up the mast.   More thinking required.

2 comments :

Dave said...

Difficult to see, really need more pictures. However a reed switch is a tube https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reed_switch unless it is one of the encapsulated type so i suspect more likely to be a Hall effect switch

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/blog.asp?p=reed-switches-and-hall-effect-sensors

Check if the "piece of metal" is actually a magnet to confirm.

What you might be able to do is use a 12v relay coil placed next to the sensor to activate it (strip a 12v car relay https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/relay-guide.html)

Although there must be a simpler way, possibly using a resistor divider chain to change the sensor voltage when you switch on the 12v

Dave

Tom and Jan said...

Dave,
I have a solution. One switch for the power supply and a second for the internal lithium battery