Tuesday 19 January 2021

Stolen Idea

Now the last of the fruit trees have been planted I started thinking about Jan keeping them alive.  Obviously they are planted in sand and the climate is hot.  Thirty minutes of automatic water reticulation three times weekly is probably only going to wet the top six inches of sand.  This is likely to result in the tree roots growing close to the surface.  I’ve therefore stolen and idea!

Last month whilst heading to the supermarket we passed a council water truck watering the native trees on the road verge.  That is when I noticed each tree had a length of PVC pipe buried vertically beside the tree trunk and the driver of the truck was directing the water down the pipe. 

Today I used three lengths of surplus 25mm plastic water reticulation pipe to make my own spears.  I used the heat gun to soften one end of each length of pipe and then squashed it with my hand whilst wearing a glove.

IMG_20210119_081802

Next several vertical rows of 2mm holes were drilled in each pipe.

IMG_20210119_081807

Using a rubber headed mallet I drove each length of pipe into the ground beside the trees.

IMG_20210119_082227

Jan should now be able to deliver water and liquid fertilizer to the base of each tree.  If I get very keen I may cut the tops off three empty plastic soft drink bottles and fit them to the tops of the pipes as funnels.

2 comments :

nb Bonjour said...

Tom, they look excellent for the purpose. Also, a mulch of gravel or shingle to completely cover the earth will reduce evaporation considerably! And water in the evening so the tree can make best use of the water.
We may not have your heat but we do get dry weather (sometimes);)
Debby

Tom and Jan said...

Debby I'm going to leave the gravel suggestion for the family gardener to act upon. I'm just the family engineer! :-) No doubt the engineer will get the job of moving and placing the gravel