Sunday 10 January 2021

That wasn’t as easy as I had anticipated!

Installing Windows 8.1 onto the new laptop wasn’t as easy as I had anticipated.  Initially the problem was the lack of an ethernet and wifi connection.  The operating system kept asking me to go online to resolve the problem which I obviously couldn’t do without wifi or ethernet. 

Eventually I realised the issue was with the new network card.  It uses the newer AX standard which Windows 10 recognises, but Windows 8.1 does not.  I don’t need to higher speed AX standard as the home router is the lower standard (AC).  I was going to remove the old network card from the Asus and install it in the new Lenovo.  However on checking, I realised they are physically different and the old card won’t fit.  Eventually I found a work around by installing a thumbnail sized usb 2.4Hz wifi stick into one of the laptop usb ports.  It was recognised by Windows 8.1 and gave me wifi access.  This enabled me to update the ethernet drivers and get the ethernet port working.  My primary internet access is via the ethernet port and if I’m mobile I used the tiny usb wifi transmitter. 

With all that solved I discovered the large desktop monitor wasn’t recognising the laptop via the HDMI cable.  After some troubleshooting I discovered there was a switch in the laptop BIOS allowing me to swap between the laptop screen and the monitor by selecting either monitor or HDMI. 

I’m sorted….. I think !!!

We’ve been telling our son he should allow the children to play more often as it’s important for their own problem solving development.

kids1

is because the knowledge acquired will be useful later in life

kids2 

2 comments :

Dave said...

Hi Tom
looks a very nice laptop. I'm with you on this, my main desktop is a old Dell and my laptop is T430 lenovo. They both now have SSD and 8Gb Ram but just work.

The only difference is i run win10 purely as the offer was free upgrade from 7 to 10 and having tried 8 (and 8.1) i vowed never to touch it. Win10 is also supported wheras 7 & 8 are now EOS

10 does have its quirks but you get used to it and a lot of the MS annoyances can be removed.

Tom and Jan said...

Hi Dave,

I just didn't want the hassle of re-installing all my other programs onto Windows 10 and then converting Windows 10 to look like windows 7. Yes, I have Windows 8.1 looking like windows 7 :-)