Sunday 28 February 2021

What has been happening?

The plan is to lower the front differential on the Isuzu tomorrow and I decided to do some preparatory work by removing the underbody protection (Bash) plates from the vehicle.

P1010323

I’ve decided there is no fool like an old fool who is prepared to lie down on concrete and wriggle into a confined space.  With the plates removed it was easier to see the alignment of the CV joints.

P1010324

Front on view.  The CV’s are definitely not horizontal

P1010325

Underneath view.  The wheel is actually slightly forward of the differential.  The ‘drop kit’ won’t rectify that problem.

P1010326

The front differential is the big silver thing! Smile The three bottom arrows point to the five bolts on the diff support bracket which is going to be replaced.  The two top arrows point to a further two bolts requiring replacement. 

I don’t think this will be a complicated task (fingers crossed).  The worst part is likely to be lying on your back reaching up.

I’ve already measured the ground clearance at 265mm.  It will be interesting to see how that changes after the differential has been lowered.

One of the other projects I’m currently working on is the refurbishment of my Hitachi mitre saw.  It has been sitting around collecting dust (and rust) for a decade.  I’ve disassembled it  and given it a clean along with removing the rust before painting all the metal parts.

P1010330P1010331

It will probably be reassembled today and Jan can then advertise it.  She does much better than me when it comes to sales!  I should have taken a ‘before’ photo.

Thanks for the comment and link to the eBay Fids Brian.  They would be ideal for paracord but too small for my soft shackles.  However I haven’t given up on paracord and will retain the link.

1 comment :

Veggi said...

So you’ve raised the ride height and now need to lower the diff to get the drive shaft aligned better, will this not have an detrimental effect on the front prop shaft angle ?