Saturday 5 August 2023

Kata Tjuta and beyond Alice Springs

This is a very familiar part of the trip for both Carlin and me.  We drove it on our last trip in 2019. 

As we continued east Kata Tjuta(The Olgas) started to appear on the horizon.

P1020754P1020756P1020761

I described them during that trip so I won't repeat myself.

Continuing east, we passed Uluru (Ayres Rock) and entered the town of Yulara.  I reasoned fuel would be expensive here and as we didn't need to restock the pantry we continued on eventually stopping for a comfort break 100km later at Curtin Springs.

P1020764

Curtin Springs and it had obviously rained recently

There is accommodation (cabins and caravan park) at Curtin Springs which many budget travellers utilise thereby avoiding the more expensive option at Yulara.

After emptying the bladder we pressed on to Alice Springs arriving a dusk.  A long day of driving!  I decided we would stay at the same camping ground behind 'The Gap Hotel'.  Some changes were immediately apparent.  Alice Springs has experienced a significant crime problem since our last visit and getting into the hotel premises felt like entering a prison.  A high solid steel fence and door manned by a private security guard.  Clustered around the outside of the door were several aboriginal vagrants who were being denied entry.  I was allowed in and managed to book an unpowered campsite.  Carlin was back outside in the 4WD being pestered by several more vagrants.  Upon re-joining Carlin I politely but firmly shooed away the last of the vagrants and we entered the caravan park.  The hotel and camping facilities (showers, etc) were secured but the campsites were not.  Remembering a couple had been burgled during our last stay I went around the 4WD and trailer locking all the containers.  My concerns meant I didn't get a good night's sleep.

The following morning were packed up and started searching for a cheap fuel outlet eventually finding an unmanned BP road train fuel stop with probably the cheapest fuel in Alice Springs.  We bought 150 litres of diesel before heading north on the Stuart Highway. 

After several long days of driving we decided to stop early, around 3pm.  We wanted a quiet and private campsite at least a kilometre from the highway.  Eventually we found a gas pipeline access track that led to a small open area with plenty of firewood. 

Whilst I cut up firewood Carlin went for a walk and took some photos before flying the drone 

IMG_5064

Access track

IMG_5049

Campsite

IMG_5052

IMG_5053

IMG_5066

IMG_5071IMG_5072IMG_5081

IMG_5082

  It was a beautiful clear night and I decided to attempt some photography.  The results looked good on the small camera screen but I now see I require more practice.

IMG_5099

Carlin's drone footage



No comments :