Wednesday 7 September 2011

Foraging

This afternoon we went out with the boat hook foraging for hedgerow food.  There was a laden Damson Plum tree on the towpath.  All the low hanging fruit had been picked, hence the boat hook.  After twenty minutes of careful picking we had a plastic bag of fruit.

Back on Kelly-Louise Jan cleaned and removed the stones from enough of the fruit for the base of a plum sponge pudding.

My job is to be chief tested and confirm there are no adverse after effects.  Unfortunately this may mean I have to partake in a number of servings.  Smile

Leaving Jan to cook the pudding, I decided to walk in a different direction and see what else could be foraged from the towpath.

Kelly Louise on her mooring

I arrived at a lock to find a lovely boat whose name I recognised from a magazine review.  “Fruit of the Vine” is a Beacon Boat built on an XR&D shell.  Unfortunately I didn’t have my camera but here’s a photo from the Beacon website. 

Photo from the Beacon Website

It was good to meet Keith & Dianne and enjoy your journey.  Hopefully we will met again.

5 comments :

Andy Tidy said...

I you like foraging you may like this blog:
http://wildthymebank.wordpress.com/
Andy

Tom and Jan said...

I hadn't realised the Damsons went into Gin. I thought sole's were used for this purpose. Still, it explains why I'm struggling with the pudding :-)

Tom and Jan said...

Andy,
Jan loves the link to "wildthymebank"

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Andy told me he'd recommended my blog to you and I'm so pleased you like it! We found some damsons yesterday too - I'm torn between even more gin (can one have too much damson gin? probably not!) and instant gratification in the form of a pie ... decisions decisions!
love your blog too :D

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Andy told me he'd recommended my blog to you and I'm so pleased you like it! We found some damsons yesterday too - I'm torn between even more gin (can one have too much damson gin? probably not!) and instant gratification in the form of a pie ... decisions decisions!
love your blog too :D