Wednesday 9 December 2015

I’m a lumberjack and I’m okay!

But first it was another walk around the local area, this time to the south of Ellesmere.  Actually I’m still struggling with the pronunciation.  The locals call it Els-Mere whilst I say it the way it’s pronounced in NZ (El-Les-Mere).  It was an enjoyable walk and unlike the last remained dry throughout.  The route took me past Ellesmere College an independent school opened in 1884.

P1020161

Wikipedia states “Education was based on Anglo-Catholicvalues within a traditional public school framework. The College was intended to provide education at a low cost for the sons of families with limited finances.”

I was surprised by the lack of local footpaths on the OSM and managed to record a number of them for editing and uploading during the walk.

WALK 7 Dec

White Mere looked rather attractive with the Shropshire Sailing Club located on the northern edge.

P1020162

The club was established in 1950.  Sailing occurs on Wednesdays and the weekend.  Boats can be hired.

Dusk was falling when we were reminded of the lyrics to that Monty Python skit “I’m a lumberjack and I’m okay” when a CRT working boat returned to the wharf from downstream towing the remains of a tree.

P1020163Hopefully the canal is now clear.

No comments :