Tuesday 10 May 2016

The Seven Wonders of the Inland Waterways

Our passage through Standedge Tunnel last Friday means we have completed the last of the 7 wonders of the inland waterways.

1. Pontcysyllte Aqueduct on the Llangollen Canal
2. Standedge Tunnel on the Huddersfield Narrow Canal
3. Caen Hill Lock Flight on the Kennet & Avon Canal
4. Barton Swing Aqueduct on the Bridgewater Canal
5. Anderton Boat Lift on the River Weaver and Trent & Mersey Canal
6. Bingley Five Rise Locks on the Leeds & Liverpool Canal

7. Burnley Embankment also on the Leeds & Liverpool Canal

After Jan’s effort in working 22 locks yesterday we decided today would be a type of rest day.  Actually its been raining all afternoon which means Jan is probably pleased she spent her birthday working in the sunshine rather than being a drowned hamster tiger today.  This morning I walked back along yesterday’s canal route to one of the motor factors on the outskirts of Huddersfield.  In NZ and Oz they would be known as auto parts stores.  I wanted to purchase two spare 12v bulbs for the navigation lights and a cheap 12v horn.  The horn is a safety device and we desperately need something temporarily whilst I look for a more permanent solution.

The route took me back past Lock 1 and sure enough that boat was still moored on the lock landing.

20160510_094543-1

You can tell from the photo that there is a reasonable drop from the landing to the deck of the boat.  Yet yesterday the two elderly baby hippo’s had managed to climb up onto the landing complete with chairs and other paraphernalia.  You can’t see it in the photo but there is a mobility scooter on a platform in the bow.  Is it just me or do you also wonder why people who can climb up off the boat need a mobility scooter.  And….. if you are disabled, wouldn’t you be more likely to realise that mooring on a lock landing might be a major inconvenience to others?

My visit to the motor factors was a success and all my items were purchased for £9. 

horn

Boaters will know that any items with marine in the description, or purchased from a chandlery, is likely to be expensive.  I’ve been very pleased with the alternator belt I purchased from the motor factors in Banbury.  Previous belts had been purchased from chandlers and only lasted around 750 hours.  The current belt is one from Banbury and has been on for 1500 hours with no sign of failure.  The second belt I bought will probably be inherited by Waiouru’s next owner! Smile 

Jan, son and I managed to meet in the Huddersfield shopping centre where upon our son decided to take his mother and I to lunch for a late birthday meal. (It’s always pleasing to get a return on your investment).  We ate at a small Thai cafe in the covered market.  There was also a cheap barber (£3.50 males) at the opposite end of the market  The price seemed too good to pass.  At £3.50 you wouldn’t expect the barber to extend much time and effort.  That proved to be the case.  The No3 comb went on and the clippers raced around the sides and back followed by a quick snip with the scissors over the top.  In less than five minutes I was springing from the chair, clicking my heels and bleating, leaving my shorn fleece on the floor <baabaa>.

I have to mention the sale of nb No Problem.  It’s only been on the market a very short time and already sold.  My guess is some discerning purchaser has obviously realised it has a well recorded history and knows what they are getting.  We are also avidly following Sue’s build blog for their new wide beam

4 comments :

Jenny said...

Congratulations on achieving your "Big 7" wonders of the inland waterways. You must both be feeling rather chuffed with your efforts.

Robin and Jenny
Romany Rambler

Tom and Jan said...

Jenny

It was never planned and I only realised we'd visited all seven by coincidence!

Hoits said...

I really think the 7 should include the Falkirk Wheel, although I realise its inaccessible, and in Scotland so perhaps it doesn't count.

Tom and Jan said...

I don't believe it existed when the list was created! 😊