Wednesday 14 September 2016

Arriving at Evesham

You may have noticed there were two blog posts yesterday.  I wrote the first post and then Open Live Writer (OLW) refused to publish it throwing an error message instead.  Eventually I had to cut and paste the post directly into Blogger before turning my attention to the OLW problem. 

I think I know what caused the problem (it was me) and I’m also going to explain how I fixed it.  After writing only two lines in OLW I accidentally hit the ‘Publish’ button instead of the ‘Insert’.  I was unable to prevent OLW publishing the post forcing me to load the Blogger Dashboard and delete it.  When I completed the post in OLW I then received the error.  My guess is there is a ‘bug in OLW and it won’t publish a second post with the same name.

My first attempt at solving the problem involved uninstalling and then reinstalling OLW using the program uninstall option.  However this didn’t fix it.

My second attempt was successful.  I uninstalled OLW and then running regedit.exe before searching the entire Windows Registry for any links to OLW.  These were then deleted.  Finally I reinstalled OLW.

It was an attractive riverside scene at dusk in Bidford last night.  The photo doesn’t do it justice.

IMG_0689

We left at 9am this morning with the intention of reaching Evesham before noon.  We had the river to ourselves for most of the trip only passing three boats going in the opposite direction.  One of these was nb Petroc whom we had been looking out for having read that Gillian and Geoff were heading in the opposite direction. 

P1030227

Jan remembers last seeing Petroc at Clifton Cruisers when she wintered over there on Waiouru in 2014.  Today was one of those very fleeting conversations where only greetings are exchanged.

Today’s cruise was mostly rural with the odd palatial riverside home thrown in for contrast.

IMG_0690P1030229

Whilst Robert Aickman was a writer he is more well known on the inland waterways for his major contribution and leadership in conserving and restoring England’s canals and rivers through the formation of the Inland Waterway Association.  Today we passed through the lock that bears his name.

IMG_0692IMG_0693There is a wall beside the lock containing a bronze relief of his profile and a plaque.  Jan went over and read the plaque before taking this photo.

The weirs are a constant reminder you are on a river.

P1030230

I have no idea what this structure at Offenham Lock is?  It was too far from the boat for me to read the text on the sign.  Apparently Offenham Lock is the former name for the lock.  It was renamed George Billington Lock whose donation enabled volunteers to build the lock. He died of an incurable disease within a week of the lock's opening.  

P1030234 

The next lock was Evesham and I have to confess I failed to take a photo of the rather unique lock side cottage.  I’ll have to walk back tomorrow and rectify the omission.

There were plenty of vacant spots on the 48 hour moorings below Workman Bridge and we moored up to await the arrival of blog readers Fraser & Diana who were coming from the opposite direction. 

IMG_0695

Evesham

Fraser originates from Australia and Diana is a Kiwi, however they now live in Western Canada and had hired nb Lucy Ginger for four months.  They are into their last fortnight and we’re rather impressed with the amount of network they have been able to over during their time aboard. 

IMG_0696

We spent a good six hours conversing about canals, boating and how to live in the UK.  Along the way we managed to consume most of a plate of Fraser’s freshly baked scones.  Even better, we discovered Diana writes a blog <https://rowkinrovingsblog.wordpress.com>.  Great news, another boating blog to read and one to add to our blog list.

No comments :