Thursday 4 July 2019

No holes

A little more information on the repairs to the ceiling.  This is what the reverse side of my plasterboard patches look like.

I don’t want these patches to become cold (or hot) spots in the ceiling reducing the insulations effectiveness.  This is why I kept the offcuts from the shed insulation.  After carefully cutting the scraps I used some pva glue to secure them to the reverse side of patches.

 

More pva glue was applied to the end of the pine support strips before inserting the patches into the holes in the ceiling.

You may notice the two small holes in the above patch.  I drilled them in order that I could hook a piece of 16 gauge wire into the patch and pull it down into place.

The last step for the day was to apply some plaster to the joints between the patch and the ceiling.  I will leave it 24 hours allowing the plaster to set.

The other project was the floor steam mop.  We found the mop on a high shelf in the garage.  I guess it was something my mother purchased years ago.  Well it didn’t have a cover for the foot so we purchased six on eBay.

Can you see the problem?

Yes… the mop foot is too big for the covers.  Having worked out how the steam system operates I did some modifications.

Jan has taken it for a run around the new floor and it appears to be working satisfactorily.

I’ve not been the only busy person in the house.  It’s been baking day.  Jan has baked two dozen beef and veg pies along with six apple sponge puddings.  All but four went into the freezer.  Jan had one for lunch and i’m not sure who ate the other three. 

1 comment :

Ade said...

Nice job Tom on both the mop and the plasterboard patches.
Won’t be a next time I know but the way I do them is put the battens across the hole wider than as you have then wood or plasterboard screw through the existing board into the batten. The screw will countersink it’s head by itself.
Then predrill 4 holes inline with the fixed battens in the patch piece bung up some insulation as you lift into position and screw up to battens again screws will self countersink into plasterboard.
Done in one visit.
Cheers
Always following along thanks for the tip on the new Yarwood blog!
You knew you had to steer clear for a fear of a second term in Narrowboat ownership!
Ade