Thursday 29 August 2019

Elachbutting Rock Trip–Day 3

Last night was considerably warmer that the first night when I almost shivered in my thick Fairydown Everest model sleeping bag. I bought this bag before we were married and usually I overheat in it, but nights in the desert can get bitter.  The dry air and lack of vegetation allow the daytime heat to rapidly dissipate.  I also tend to rise at first light in an effort to cook and eat breakfast prior to the arrival of the flies.  Yes… I don’t like sharing my breakfast!  Of course that means dinner is usually eaten after dusk.  So two meals a day! 

Today we visited three different rock locations.  The largest and most interesting was Baladjie Rock beside Lake Baladjie.   Rather than take all three vehicles I travelled in my brother’s Toyota.  He could scratch his paintwork bashing through the scrub Smile

IMG_3875IMG_3876

The first feature had some interesting gnamma holes.  A gnamma hole is a cavity formed in hard rock which can sometimes contain water.  The Australian Aborigines would know the locations of the holes and use them as a source of drinking water.  Something the early European explorers and settlers adopted.

IMG_3877IMG_3916  

This particular rock wasn’t particularly high but then the terrain was so flat it still made an acceptable survey point.

IMG_3878IMG_3879

Looking west back towards the pastoral land

IMG_3880

And to the east vast areas of not much

IMG_3881

Various interesting rock formations create by wind and rain

IMG_3886IMG_3887

IMG_3888IMG_3913

Lake Baladjie is a salt lake.  In the winter it contains water with a significant level of salinity, whilst during the summer it would be a sea of white salt

IMG_3915

Janet went rock climbing

IMG_3917

On top of that large boulder held in place by weight and friction.

IMG_3917-2

More interesting shapes and colours in the rock formed by the climate.

IMG_3923

That evening I managed to give myself food poisoning….. Have I mentioned I’m a rotten cook?


No comments :