Saturday 10 July 2021

New Tool and Spare of Last Resort

Today I felt well enough to do something about the ‘spare of last resort’.  When I purchased the steel rims for the 4x4 and trailer five of them came already fitted with worn tyres. Tyres not only wear but age.  Often the age failure occurs out of sight inside the tyre.  Much like humans Smile  The tyres I acquired with the rims are old… very old!  Whilst I’ve been prepared to run them on bitumen I wouldn’t trust them off-road in the middle of nowhere.  However my plan is to keep the best of the old tyres as my ‘spare of last resort’.  It will be the 3rd spare.  One under the 4x4.  One on the back of the trailer and the spare of last resort under the trailer.  Until today the spare of last resort had been on the back of the trailer where it has been exposed to the harsh sun and rain.  I’ve wanted to exchange it with the new spare that has been under the trailer.  But I didn’t want to expose the good tyre to the weather. 

Yesterday the vinyl tyre cover I ordered arrived enabling me to exchange the two tyres.

P1010505

Before you think I went out of my way to buy a cover with the Australian flag I should point out I purchased the cheapest cover I could find. 

The other recent arrival was my new tool.  A digital protector.

P1010519

It has magnets on the base which enables it to be attached to steel.  Today it was being attached to saw blades.  I wanted to check if the bench and mitre saw blades were at 90° to the base.

P1010509

Zero the protector to the base

P1010510

Blade is 89.8°   Close enough

P1010511

Mitre saw base

P1010513

Blade is 89.4°

I think the protractor will be very useful setting accurate angles on blades.

2 comments :

Dave said...

Tom, you are a bad influence on me. First the woodworking hinge tool and now the digital protractor.

Think i need to cancel the ebay/paypal account

Tom and Jan said...

Dave there is no need to thank me for helping you spend your hard earned money :-)