Sunday 21 November 2021

What have I done wrong?

Jan answered a call on my mobile phone.  It was an officious and very assertive male from the Australian Border Force.  He only uttered the first two menacing sentences when Jan interrupted telling him to “Piss Off” before hang up.  An hour later he rang again receiving the same response from Jan.  Will they arrive to cart me away for my transgressions?

Meanwhile I was blissfully unaware of the drama working in the ‘man cave’ on me new project.  I’m building a new integrated workbench to replace the one I made in 2017 after we arrived back from the UK.

This workbench will be slightly larger (2400x1200) and incorporate most of the larger power tools.  It will be on eight strong castors allowing me to easily move it around in the shed.

P1010666

The DeWalt bench saw will go in the front left position and a router lift in the front right

P1010663

The narrow gap between the next two partitions will be the sawdust collection compartment which I intend to connect to the dust extractor via the pipe I previously laid in the shed concrete floor.

P1010667

 After the sawdust compartment will be the Mitre Saw on the right and the Thicknesser on the left.

P1010668P1010669

Both will be on swivel or dropdown bases ensuring they are concealed when not required.

The last compartment will consist of three large storage drawers either side.

P1010670 

The plan is to have a 2400x1200 clean worktop which will consist of one sheet of 18mm plywood with a similar sized sheet of customwood (MDF) as the top layer. The MDF will be sacrificial, enabling me to replace it when necessary without impacting the main part of the workbench.

2 comments :

Jenny said...

What have you done wrong indeed? Do let us know when the blokes from the Border Force come to arrest you! They may well bring the camera crew with them, we often watch Aussie Border Force programmes in TV.

Tom and Jan said...

Jenny the Border Force join the Australian Tax Office and Federal Police in wanting me to either provide my bank details or rapidly pay an overdue account whilst facing a severe fine. We know many get caught by these scammers.