Tuesday 4 January 2022

T-Track and Quidco

 

Now that I have experienced a pandemic I completely understand why Italian Renaissance paintings depict obese, naked people laying on couches.

Another thought…. Never trust atoms.  They make up everything!

Jan has been delighted to discover she can purchase from Aliexpress and Banggood via Quidco.  My girl does love a discount!  If my memory is accurate (something doubtful these days) it was Sue of No Problem who put Jan onto Quidco and ever since Jan has used it whenever possible when in the UK.  Yesterday she mentioned we had received more than £380 in rebates since joining.  Now Jan is going to try using Quidco for all her Chinese purchases,  It may only be a few pence on each transaction, but as you can see; they all add up!

Whilst mentioning Aliexpress I can advise my latest purchase arrived this morning.  For some time I’ve been thinking of buying attachment accessories for the Xiaomi 4K action camera.  The cameras is now four years old and starting to become obsolescent.  This means the price of the accessories is starting to drop.  Eventually they will be unavailable, which is why I spent less than $10 to buy them now.  I received a bag full of bits and started fiddling to see what I could make.

A bike helmet mount

P1010734 

A mounting for handlebars or a pipe along with more mounting plates and adhesive pads.  I might see if I can fit this to the outback trailer.

P1010735

There was also a courier delivery.  I received three one metre lengths of T-Track Jan had ordered from Banggood.  I could have purchased them in Australia, but China was far cheaper.  Of course the Australian suppliers buy the stuff from China and then raise the price by several hundred percent.  Buying directly from China is significantly cheaper but you do have a longer delivery period.  Hey, I’m retired and now have the patience to wait! Smile

P1010733

Most of the T-Track will be fitted into the router lift table top.  I’ve already cut the grooves in the top using the router.

P1010736 

I was going to cut mitre joints in the T-Track but decided it might look a little messy.  I’ve ordered four T-Track junction plates instead.

Speaking of messy.  COVID is starting to get messy over the east side of the continent.  The Liberal State Government in New South Wales (NSW) has adopted the Boris strategy and has opened up telling the population they need to live with COVID.  Queensland has stated anyone from NSW wanting to enter the State must first produce a negative PCR test.  Other states are adopting the same policy.  The NSW government is crying foul.  Mostly I suspect, because the NSW health system has been inundated with demands for PCR tests that the NSW government has to fund.  Obviously a significant number of people in NSW want to flee for a holiday in Queensland!  Rapid Antigen Tests (RAT) are much faster and cheaper than PCR, but RAT kits aren’t free.  A pack of five can cost $56+ and the price is rising due to unprecedented demand.  The Federal Government refuses to pay for the RAT kits which means more demand for PCR resulting in an increase in cost for the state governments.

Meanwhile, over here in the west the borders are closed and the unclean are being kept out.  That’s due to change on 5 February when we open to the world.  We will also have to live with COVID.  If I were unvaccinated I’d be starting to get very worried

 

5 comments :

Dave said...

Hi Tom

Re the helmet camera mount. Be cautious, we have just banned them for our pedalcar races unless the helmet is specifically designed for it and has it built in already.

Its due to concerns over possibly affecting the structural integrity of the helmet and liability should the camera fall off and injure a following rider. Also the extra leverage the mount gives could exacerbate any injuries if the rider comes off.

Happy New Year

dave

Tom and Jan said...

Hi Dave,

There doesn't appear to be any legislation here regarding cameras on helmets.

Davidss said...

" ... the extra leverage the mount gives could exacerbate any injuries if the rider comes off".

As an example, see Michael Schumacher, ex car racing driver and downhill skier.

Regards.

Tom and Jan said...

David the facetious part of me thinks Jan would comment I'm often already headless :-) On a more serious note I do acknowledge there is a potential risk. However I don't believe my mount is illegal. It is therefore a matter of me accepting responsibility for any potential adverse outcomes.

Dave said...

I don't think there is any legislation (in the UK) but we went down the route of banning for our pedalcar races to avoid any possible legal action should anything occur.

We were concerned about getting tied up in legal knots should an injury happen. The helmet manufacturer could say it had been modified against its designed specification and so forth.

Also some of the mounts we were seeing were held on by an adhesive sticker (again helmet manufacturers often state no adhesive stickers) or a couple of cable ties.

We have had a camera fall off during practice hence we have gone down this route for 2022