Sunday 11 September 2022

Aussie Butt Cream

No doubt you are wondering why the need for Aussie Butt Cream.

P1020200

A hint is provided by the icon formed by the letter “i” in the word “aussie”.  NO!  I don’t use it for that.  Nothing to do with the toilet or haemorrhoids.  It’s to reduce chaffing when cycling…..  and do I need it!  

Never having use the stuff before, today there was some experimenting about the quantity to be applied.  Obviously I used too much as initially I fell off the saddle (twice) trying to mount the bike.  However I noticed the difference once mounted and pedalling.  I’ll write no more on the subject.

Meanwhile there has been further progress on the boat navigation unit.  I’m now only waiting on two components.  One is an adapter for the connection between the USB TV stick antenna output port and the coaxial cable.  This is due to be delivered any day.  The second is somewhat more difficult.  I need a Raspberry Pi 4 and there is currently a worldwide shortage.  One may not be available until early next year. 

Externally the unit looks like this…….

P1020203 

Front.  Volt/Amp meter,  On’Off switch and Fuse holder

P1020204

Rear.  Two USB 3.0 ports, Ethernet, 5 pin weather sensor socket, Coaxial port for AIS antenna and 12V power supply socket

 P1020202

Right.  12V to 5V DC converter rated at 10A

P1020201

Left.  HDMI port and 3.5mm stereo output socket

I’ve drilled a matrix of 2mm holes on both sides of the case to improve  ventilation.

2 comments :

Davidss said...

I'm sorry it didn't occur to me before, but having seen the unit assembled I'm reminded that by requiring access on all four sides the installed footprint is considerably increased because cables are flying in all directions.
When faulting the unit, or an adjacent device, if the unit is pulled in one direction leads on the other side are stressed, and may be inadvertently dislodged.

It makes the case for using a larger container and routing the internal wiring to the ports. If all the wiring ports are in one side it surely makes for a neater installation in whatever space the container is fitted.

Apologies again for coming late to the party.

Tom and Jan said...

Hi David

Yes, I am going to need to tidy the cables and ensure they are secured as part of the final assembly. This will also assist air flow and reduce the internal temperature.