Saturday 28 January 2023

'The Beast'

Jan was very excited when her new kitchen appliance was delivered this morning.  She has named it 'The Beast'.

beast

It's certainly large and heavy.  I'm told it has the functionality of three conventional appliances being a slow cooker, pressure cooker and air fryer.

Whilst Jan has been having some success with her new toy I've had a failure. Sad smile

At the furthest point of yesterday's bike ride the controller displayed a fault and I lost the information for speed, distance, gear level and battery charge.  Instead, the display showed an engine fault symbol and an error code 21H.

After cycling home I looked up the definition of code 21H error.  It indicates a fault with the bike speed sensor.  After examining the sensor; which appeared to be OK; my suspicions were confirmed when I removed the new bike stand from the frame and discovered the speed sensor cable was damaged.  It's my fault.

When cycling around Taiwan towing the heavy trailer I realised the side stand wasn't sufficiently strong.  The design of the side stand meant the bike leaned to the stand side and the weight of the trailer then made the combined bike & trailer tip over.  The strain on the stand was so great it eventually broke the leg.  My solution has been to buy a centre stand with two legs.  The bike then stood vertically and the now perpendicular trailer didn't cause the combination to tip.

However when the stand I had ordered online arrived I realised it wouldn't fit.  The issue was the wires from the motor.  They occupied the same space as the stand.  I started cutting, drilling, grinding and filing the stand mounting plate to make room for the wires.

stand 

I cut the front lip off the stand mounting plate (top right arrow) and made two holes on the top of the leading edge to provide room for the motor cables.

This actually worked!  The problem was some surplus cable from the speed sensor got caught in the leg folding mechanism.

wires

Top arrow shows where the stand mounts to the underside of the frame.  The bottom arrow points to the broken wires.  It's going to take all four of my hands to effect a repair.  One hand to hold one of the wire ends and a second hand to hold the other.  The third hands to hold the soldering iron and the fourth to hold the solder.  Unfortunately I only have two hands (which shake) and one eye.  The latter makes it very hard to judge distances (like joining two small wires).

The solution is quite obvious.  Make a pair of hands!

clips

The bike speed controller is now working.  I've rerouted the cable in an effort to prevent further damage.

2 comments :

Jenny said...

Just imagine all those delicious meals Jan will be cooking using The Beast as she works through the accompanying cook book.

Tom and Jan said...

Jenny, Jan always produces delicious meals! Unfortunately no saveloys :-)