Sunday 16 April 2023

Outback Trip - Day 1

A local 4WD club kindly invited me along on their recent outback trip.  The plan was to visit the western portion of the Great Victoria Desert and then travel down to the Australian Bight for some fishing and beach driving.

The RV for the start of the journey was at 'The Lakes' about 50km east on the Great Eastern Highway.  Google Maps told me this would take 46 minutes and being a pedant about punctuality I left 30 minutes early.  That proved to be very fortuitous as the traffic was horrible.  After 46 minutes I'd only managed to pass the first three traffic light intersections on the Reid Highway. 

On arrival at the RV I discovered I wasn't the first.  But neither was I the last!  What quickly became apparent was mine was the only camper trailer.  It was going to be a rather large convoy of 14 vehicles.

P1020564P1020565

Most of the group were complete strangers.  However they are a very friendly lot.

The convoy leader advised there would be a morning tea stop at Kellerberrin and a lunch stop at Merredin.  The destination for the day was a bush campsite at Yellowdine, some 400km.  Minimum distance between vehicles to be six car lengths.  Radios on Channel 14.

Day 1

We had only just left the RV when the driver behind called me on the radio to advise my lower left trailer tail brake light wasn't working.  Damn!  However the trailer has a total of four rear lights so still legal.

P1020566

Mid morning stop at Kellerberrin.  The trailer light fitting appears to be beyond repair.

P1020567

Lunch at Merredin.  I've previously posted photos of Merredin so just one of the traditional Aussie style pub.

Upon reaching Yellowdine the convoy turned left off the highway entering a secluded large flat area approximately 100 metres from the Highway.  Pick your campsite!

IMG_4846IMG_4847

An interesting array of accommodation.  The majority appeared; like me; to some type of rooftop tent.  Others used swags or stretcher tents and then were three ground tents

IMG_4851

Brothers Don and Steve were using a combination of swag and stretcher.  That evening I discovered Don was visiting from Bournemouth, UK.

IMG_4857

My travelling technique is to erect my accommodation just before needing it.  If I don't immediately require anything then it get repacked. 

IMG_4853

IMG_4854The sun set on the ruins of a building adjacent to the campsite.  I suspect it may have been the remains of an old water pumping station.  In the background you can see the water pipe that runs the 600km from Perth to Kalgoorlie.  The old pumping stations were wood fired steam powered. 

IMG_4852

IMG_4848

During the evening another club member arrived with their outback caravan.  My trailer didn't feel quite so lonely Smile

IMG_4858

With the highway so close it wasn't a particularly quiet night.  The rumbling of passing road trains!  

2 comments :

Jenny said...

Other than your light not working, seems a good start to the day. We are looking forward to reading more about your trip. It must be different for you to be traveling in such a big group, after going away with just your mate.

Tom and Jan said...

More to come Jenny