Monday 4 September 2023

Black Box Progress

crash

My lively sense of humour!

Two failings with version two of the diy yacht navigation system.   The AIS (Automatic Identification System) for ships hasn't been working.  I bought a second USB TV dongle after I suspected the first was unable to tune to the required radio frequency.  Subsequently I took the 'blackbox" and home made antenna to the coast (three times) in an effort to receive a signal failing on each occasion.  I finally realised the second cheap USB dongle might have the same issue as the first. 

A third dongle was then purchased online.  This one was more expensive and I was optimistic.  Unfortunately this one was stolen in transit.  All I received was the torn brown envelope.  Fortunately the seller agreed to send a replacement.

The second is was the size of the case.  Version 1 of the case proved to be too small.  I then bought a larger case.  That also proved to be too small.  In the end I made a case from scrap plywood.  

P1020928

Front Panel (L-R)  Volt/Amp meter   Fan switch  Fuse holder  Main switch

P1020931

Rear Panel

  • Four USB ports
  • Audio jack
  • Ethernet port
  • Two HDMI ports
  • External sensor socket
  • AIS antenna socket
  • 12V input socket

In order to create some interior room for my shaky fat fingers and poor eyesight I've mounted the Raspberry Pi on a plinth

P1020930

Every component or module that might fail has been mounted using Velcro.  The idea is this should make replacement easier.

P1020945

Inside

There are two outstanding tasks.

  1. I need to test the AIS module and confirm it can receive signals and display ship position data.
  2. I've ordered two optocouplers which need to be installed.  One will be for the existing yacht depth sensor and the other is either a spare or for a second sensor (eg, anemometer).

Yes, the wiring does need to be tidied!

Grandson's yacht is old (1991) and the current depth sensor used the 'SeaTalk' communications data protocol.  This was a propriety protocol developed by Raymarine.  Eventually SeaTalk was replaced by a new protocol, NMEA0183.  This has now be replaced with a canbus protocol NMEA2000.

The 'Blackbox' uses the NMEA0183 protocol and an optocoupler is required to convert the SeaTalk data to a NMEA0183 compatible format.

Hopefully the project is nearly finished.

No comments :