Tuesday 9 January 2024

How Hot?

The other side of this continent might be experiencing flooding rain.  However on this side it's extreme heat and bush fires!

This morning I erred in my judgement and decided to clean the swimming pool thermal blanket.

IMG_5677

After rolling it up the blanket was moved and laying it out on the back lawn where I spent thirty minutes washing off all the accumulated dirt and leaves.

Upon rolling it up afterwards I discovered the lawn had been burnt. 

IMG_5678

This probably gives an indication of how efficient the blanket is in trapping the heat from the sun and transferring it into the water.  Maybe I should have more sympathy for Jan who is complaining the pool is too hot for a swim.

That had me thinking "If it's that hot in her pool what is the condition of my ebike battery charger?"

You may recall I made a shelf for the charger under the roof of the porch.  Upon checking, it was immediately apparent the charger would likely be damaged by the extreme heat which was being magnified by the polycarbonate roof sheets above.

A small offcut of plasterboard and plywood was used to make a protective cover between the polycarbonate and the shelf.

IMG_5679

Hopefully it will be enough of a thermal barrier to prevent the charger melting.

That done, it was a matter of racing back inside to the air-conditioning.

No comments :