Tuesday 24 September 2024

Germerheim to Bingen

Today’s plan was to cycle beyond the city of Mainz.  About 130km! 

The EV15 had me riding on the western side of the Rhine and in Germany.  I’m now beyond France.  Fifteen kilometres into the ride the route took me away from the river and through the city of Speyer.  It was here that I noticed a low Lufthansa 747 coming into land.

20iAug

Readers with sharp eyes will immediately see I’m writing “porkies”.  It’s actually a static display in the Technik Museum Speyer.   There is a walkway on the port wing.  The route took me around the perimeter of the museum where I could see several other smaller aircraft and some railway rollingstock before the EV15 took me through an underpass.

This brought me to the next interesting location.   A slightly pink cathedral.   This is the Roman Catholic Cathedral Speyer.  Construction commenced in 1030 and it is now the oldest remaining Romanesque church in Germany.

20DAug

Several kilometres later I passed the 800km point on the return journey making me more than three quarters of the way through the trip.

There were numerous camping ground along this part of the Rhine but it was too early in the day to consider stopping.  The EV15 route swings to the west of the city of Mahnheim for which I was quite grateful.  Unless there is a good cycle path I don’t like cycling through built up areas.

10km later the path took me along the riverbank through the city of Worms.  Not sure how you pronounce that and I just used the pronunciation I’d use for the wriggly thinks in the earth Smile

There were several more temporary detours caused by earthworks to the flood bank but eventually I reached Mainz.  The route through the city was along the western bank of the Rhine.  It was quite busy with numerous pedestrians and cyclists attempting to avoid each other.  Actually it was so busy I didn’t stop to take any photos.

The river bends to the west after Mainz.  The path followed the river and I cycled another 20km to reach the Campingplatz Hindenburgbrücke where I planned to spend the night.   Initially I was concerned as all I could see were motorhomes.  However on inquiring I was informed they had a small area for tents.

Opposite my campsite were a row of large wine barrels that had been converted to sleeping pods.  Had it been raining I might have considered using one of them

IMG20240826170323

On the opposite riverbank was a large fortress

IMG20240826170332

Looking at the map tomorrow may be more interesting as the Rhine appears to cut through a line of hills.

No comments :