Sunday 8 August 2021

It’s My Fault!

I’ve created some unnecessary work for myself,which is rather annoying! 

It all happened as a result of my borrowing my brother’s trailer.  It has a safety chain, however there isn’t a locking mechanism for the coupler catch.  When towing the trailer the coupler bounced off the vehicle tow ball and then smashed several times in the rear plastic bumper cracking, denting and chipping it.  At least the safety chain stopped the trailer from heading off down the road to do more damage.

The bumper plastic was bashed into rough alignment before I sanded the area to remove the chip marks.  The damaged area then received three applications of body filler with sanding between each application.  It now looks like the following

P1010542

This morning I visited three paint spray can outlets looking for a colour match.  No luck!  Because I can’t match the paint I’m considering hiding the damage by make the area a feature.  Options considered were Red, Black or Grey.  I’ve decided on grey.

 

6 comments :

Ade said...

We can get paint aerosols made up to your paint code here Tom, not sure it’s a thing down under?
Worth a shout.
Cheers
Ade

Tom and Jan said...

Ade, Jan did some googling this morning finding what I hope is the colour code and I had an aerosol can mixed before lunch. Hopefully it is the correct colour.
Cheers
Tom

Ade said...

Glad to be of assistance! Hope it’s a match, will depend on the primer used no doubt. I also had a can of lacquer with mine when I did it a few years ago was a good match.
Cheers
Ade

Tom and Jan said...

Hummmm... Looks like they have mixed the wrong colour. The paint appears to be the colour of the body of the vehicle (metallic silver) rather than the darker colour of the bumper.

Dave Gibb said...

Is that a plastic Bumper Tom? Did you try the hot water trick first?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiWzLgjb5yg

Tom and Jan said...

Dave,

It wasn't dented but smashed with a number of cracks.