Sunday 29 August 2021

That Time of the Year

Once again it is the time of year when we head to the local strawberry farm and do our annual berry picking.

P1010567

Some immediately get eaten.  But the majority are either frozen or made into jam.  I have noticed the price two years ago was $10 and last year it was $12.  This year it was $15, a 50% mark-up in three years.  I wish our life savings were achieving a similar result! Smile

Work on the bedhead has continued.  I used the small router with a 60deg ‘V’ bit to cut a 4mm deep groove everywhere there was a pencil line. The grooves weren’t very clear and I fortunately decided to experiment on a piece of scrap plywood before filling them using a felt marker pen.  I suspected the ink would ‘bleed’ into the wood fibres on the edge of the grooves and I was right!

As an alternative, a 2B lead pencil has been used to mark the grooves.

P1010568

The pencil has made the lines stand out better, but they haven’t achieved the finish I want.

P1010569

The plywood was always going to be given a Jarrah timber stain and I’m going to do that next.  Then with the grooves sealed I’ll use a black felt tip pen to make them more pronounced.  I’m not sure how many coats of stain I’ll need to apply before starting on the varnish.

Now that the sketch is larger it appears the shell may be a Reeves!

6 comments :

Dave said...

Why not get a black paint pen rather than black marker, or use a thin sign writers paintbrush and fill the grooves like that.

Or take your life in your hands, nick one of Jan's' piping bags and fine nozzle and pipe black acrylic paint into the groove

Tom and Jan said...

Dave,
I'll research the paint pens. My eyesight is too poor for a brush. I need something that will run inside the grooves. The 2mm felt tip pen I bought is too narrow. 5mm would be a better option.

Ade said...

Looking good Tom,, surprisingly not an image of Waiouru from your own camera.
Strawberries look pretty good I gues no bending to pick those! All on bench level these days. Not like when I were a lad all on the ground and crawling or on your haunches to get em!
Cheers
Ade

Jenny said...

This is a wonderful project, clever old you! Looking forward to seeing the progress you make.

Tom and Jan said...

Ade this is Australia. you bend over to ground level for your strawberries here!

Tom and Jan said...

Jenny you will have noticed I took the photo from a distance and it's slightly out of focus so you can't easily see the mistakes :-)