Monday 22 November 2010

Which Camera

I’m not much of a photographer and doubt there is an artistic bone in my body.  However it appears I will soon have the time to learn whilst cruising.  I suspect my excuse of “a poor camera” is going to quickly wear thin with our readers so I’ve decided to look for a good quality SLR camera.

As usual I’ve turned to the internet and been reading various reviews.  After a considerable amount of research I’ve selected the Canon EOS 550D DSLR.

Canon EOS-550D DSLR Camera

The camera can be purchased with or without a standard lens.  So more research was required.  I particularly wanted a general purpose lens.  One that would take wide angle as well as telephoto pictures.  I discovered Canon produce a “luxury” range of lenses which cost significantly more than their usual range.  Apparently this is because the actual lens in body is produced to a much higher quality.  I think the lens that will best fit our criteria is the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM.

 

Canon EF 24-105mm f4 L IS USM

It looks like we will probably have a two or three days in Hong Kong on the journey from Australia and therefore we will take the opportunity to purchase both the camera and lens whilst there.

Somehow I suspect the research and purchase will be the easy part of the process.  Learning to be a proficient photographer will be the greater challenge.  Still, at least with a digital camera I won’t have to wait for the film to be developed to see how poor my photographs turn out!

No comments :