Monday 1 November 2010

Why Waiouru?

I knew it was going to happen one day.  Someone would ask about the name of our boat!

Waiouru is a small town in the middle of the North Island of New Zealand <more detail here>.  Since the beginning of WW2 it has been the location of the New Zealand Army’s largest camp and training area.  My parents met there in 1949 whilst they were both in the NZ Army and they had two postings to Waiouru during their married life.  It was where I first attended school  and my brother arrived on the scene during my parents second Waiouru posting.  I subsequently followed my father into the army and had three postings to Waiouru. 

Waiouru is a NZ Maori word roughly translated to “where the waters meet” or “joining of the waters”.  So the name has both a strong family connection and is water related. 

How do you pronounce it?  Phonetically the word is Why (as in question) – Ooh (as in ooh la la) – Roo (as in kangaroo) Why-ooh-roo.  Waiouru

No comments :