Sunday 17 June 2018

Blog Comments

Having read a couple of other blog owners recent posts regarding unpublished comments I thought I’d better check to see if there were any ‘pending’ on our blog account.  Hell, there was a page of them!  What’s going one?
I wonder if this advice from Google is the culprit
“Blogger no longer supports OpenID. Existing OpenID comments and your OpenID settings may have changed.”
And this from Google
To make room for some exciting updates coming soon to Blogger, we’re simplifying the platform to enhance the blogging experience for all of our users.
Updates include:
- Changes to features: G+ widget integrations, OpenID, and Localization & Blogspot ccTLDS.
- Retiring features: Third Party Gadgets, Next Blog, Polls Widget, and Textcube.
- Introducing new features: HTTPS for Custom Domains, Multilogin, Spanner, Google Takeout, and Video Management
I always get suspicious when a company writes advising you they are doing something to simplify and enhance your experience.  For years blogging has been in steady decline, initially Facebook was it’s successor but now young users are leaving Facebook for other social media platforms.  I suspect the majority of blog writers and reads are like me…… a grey wrinkly Smile  We are a source of marketing data; but nowhere as lucrative as young singles with plenty of money and all the confidence in the world.  So blogger gets a make-over to increase data collection and reduce resource requirements.
Do any of our readers use OpenID?
Because I’ve missed so many comments I’ll reply to the questions raise here.
2 Apr – Tom, seems your preparations are going on a pace, what is your proposed trek?  You probably know of Magnus from Living aboard nutshell you tube channel once Narrowboat now sailing his company do motorbike treks across Australia http://outbackadventuretreks.com.au/adventure-across-australia-tour/ wondered if your doing something similar?  Ade
Ade, I’m hoping to fit in numerous trips.  The first will be rather fast and cover the bottom left corner of Australia.  It’s a trail of the trailer to see what I need to rectify.  Subsequent trips will hopefully be slower (and less expensive)
3 Jun – Jan said she wanted a dog when you returned to Perth.  It’s only taken a year.  Tilly would like to know what you call your four legged friend.  Pip
Pip, Jenny & Robin, it’s Jan who has set the pace on acquiring the third member of the Jones pack.  I’d have settled for a dog but Jan was adamant males are grubby slobs (she should know after 46 years of marriage) so I’m outnumbered.  After one name change Jan has settled on Molly.  
3 Jun – Don’t keep it a secret what is the name of the new female in your life?  Jenny & Robin
8 Jun – Looks an interesting bit of kit Tom, like the idea of filming your journey, need a drone to be at NB Life in a Nutshell level.  Ade
Ade a drone would be an excellent addition and I’ve done my research.  Unfortunately it’s an expense I can’t quite justify.  There are a number of You Tube films with drone footage of outback Australia and I’d like to join them.  However I’m mindful that I’m a poor photographer.
Apparently Google are aware of the Comment problem and are working on a solution.   I have my own thoughts on a work-around whilst Google designs a permanent solution.  If readers could leave a test comment on this post it will enable me to confirm my work–around actual works.







10 comments :

Tom and Jan said...

test

Jenny said...

Hi Tom, Jan and Molly

Are the two ladies in your life staying at home while you go galivanting around the country?

Jenny and Robin

KevinTOO said...

Good morning Tom:)

Dave Gibb said...

Testing 1...3...5...
sp00k

Carol said...

testing!

Pip and Mick said...

Testing testing, one two three.....

Clive said...

Hello,

Good blog, here is your test message

Pip and Mick said...

Hi Tom

I don't think we use OpenID. I don't know what it is really!

I'd be interested in your work around if it works.

Mick

nb Bonjour said...

I'm one of those bloggers. Pip (Oleanna) said to look in 'Comments awaiting moderation' and there they were. I'd not realised it was there to look at. But it would be better to get email notification that they are there!
best wishes with your Big Trip
Debby

Angela said...

Angela an almost year long livaboard from Ireland is fascinated by nearly all of your projects and hopes to maybe copy the battery project. So I and the boat dog Aslan hope to keep in touch and cheer you on on your adventures.
Angela and Aslan