Friday 20 March 2020

Another Completed and Aussie Humour

I’ve completed the two raised vegie boxes Jan requested, however they can’t be installed until after I construct the shade house.

IMG_4346

It appears the next few months are going to be a challenge, particularly for us oldies.  We have already restricted our community interaction to essential activities and will endeavour to ride out the coming storm.  Jan has always kept a well stocked pantry and freezer so there should be no issues on the food front.   The toilet paper shortage won’t affect us.  I lived in Iran for a year and they don’t use toilet paper.  I won’t go into the details!  We can also adopt the ancient Roman method with a piece of sponge tied to a stick.

Apparently I was wrong erred with my information when I mentioned the queue at the opening of the new Perth Costco went once around the building.  It went twice!  The store manager was on the TV news the day prior to opening telling the public there was sufficient toilet paper for their 60,000 members as each would be limited to purchasing one 48 roll pack.  I’m not sure what happened, however they had reportedly sold out within 30 minutes of opening.

As each day passes the government loses more credibility.  I understand they are attempting to allay public anxiety but they do themselves a dis-service when they either reverse course or tell the public things that are not true.  An example is the toilet paper shortage.  The government told the public not to panic as Australia made its own toilet paper and the factory in Millicent, South Australia had moved to 24/7 production to meet the increased demand.  As someone who worked in transportation I know it’s a maximum five day journey from the factory to the shelves in Perth, yet the shortage has been going for two weeks.  The Agriculture Minister was on TV this morning telling the public not to panic buy food as Australia produced three times what it consumes domestically.  That might be true for much of the fresh produce but look at the labels on many of the other products and you will read “Made from Australian and imported ingredients”.  Finally, this is a vast country with a relatively small population where moving food and other essentials requires a strong transportation system.  I imagine that system is going to contract when those who operate it start to stop working are they become infected or go into quarantine.

On a more optimistic and humorous note I’m grateful to my good friend Trevor in Adelaide who happens to be a blog reader.  He sent me the You Tube link below  which; in my opinion; captures the humour of the genuine Aussie!

 

https://youtu.be/ia0bfWbOLjY

I laughed so are tears were streaming down my face

For any of our canal boating readers who are planning to ride out the pandemic on their boat.  Please watch out for this scrounger.

swan

And for those not fully aware of the separation rules

thinking of you 

No comments :