Tuesday 10 March 2020

Water Compaction

The sewer pipe extension for the 2nd toilet was completed yesterday which then allowed me to backfill and compact the sand.

IMG_4338

The new sewer is the lower of the three white pvc pipes in the above photo.  The higher of the three is the drain from the shower and hand basin.  I’ve decided not to replace the existing pavers with a concrete slab.  Knowing my luck we would get a blocked sewer and I’d have to then break up the concrete.  Removing brick pavers is a far easier task.

The pipe in the bathroom looks like this

IMG_4339

It’s been position 450mm from the exterior wall.  This should provide sufficient space for the toilet but also provide some additional space in the bathroom.  Jan will probably find some use for the free area.

I filled the sand in layers using the garden hose to water each layer of dry sand thus compacting it.

IMG_4340

The bathroom

IMG_4341

Outside

The surplus dry sand has been piled on top of the compacted sand to both add some weight and clear the driveway.  Eventually the surplus sand will go into the elevated vegetable garden Jan wants built.  I also fitted a drain (red arrow for Pip) which will be connected to the air conditioning unit drain above.  That will eliminate the water dripping onto the pavers.

I’ll now leave this for a fortnight allowing the sand to settle.  Then it will be a case of pouring a new concrete slab to repair the bathroom floor.

Meanwhile I’ve continued with the shelter beside the garage.  The four galvanised steel stirrups have been concreted into the ground.

IMG_4342 

I’ll have to leave this job for a couple of weeks to allow the concrete to cure.  Although this won’t stop me relaying the pavers in the area.  Obviously I will also have more surplus sand for Jan’s vegetable garden.

No rest for the wicked Smile

2 comments :

Pip and Mick said...

Thank you for the arrows Tom

Tom and Jan said...

You're welcome Pip. I thought you might be having withdrawal symptoms :-)