Sunday 24 October 2021

Southern Safari – Day Eight

This was supposed to be another short day of driving with the intention of reaching Betty’s Beach located approximately 50km east of Albany.

map5

What should have been a relatively simple trip turned into something different when the Isuzu GPS decided I should go off-road.  I didn’t realise I was being led astray until the GPS told me in 300 metres take a left turn.  That proved to be an overgrown track with a farm gate.  <grrrr>

I backtracked 20km and configured a new route with intermediate waypoints in an effort to force the GPS to take a sensible route.  I thought everything was going well until the gps started directing me around a 200 metre triangle of road.  If I’d kept following the voice instructions I would have rear ended myself Smile

Backtrack 12km and make the gps work in small steps.  Eventually I reached the camping ground at Betty’s Beach finding a vacant site beside the long drop toilet block.  Ideal location for an old man!

IMG_4685 

My en-suite

IMG_4691

Time for a late lunch of pasta cooked by Jan before I left on the trip.  Then it was down to the rocks for a spot of evening fishing.

IMG_4689

My fishing spot on the far side of the bay.

Not a single bite.  It was going on dusk when I made it back to the trailer to cook dinner.  Tinned potatoes and mixed veg with the last of the pasta.

I was up before dawn and back on the rocks fishing.  Again no bites!  Back at the trailer I was cooking bacon and eggs for breakfast when my camping neighbour asked how the fishing had gone.  “Zero luck” was my reply.  He then informed me he had been here four days and had only caught two herring.  He attributed the poor fishing to the recent “fresh”.  That is; the recent rain which has run into the ocean reducing the salinity and discouraging the fish.

I spent a couple of hours wandering around Betty’s Beach considering what I might do.

IMG_4686IMG_4687IMG_4688IMG_4696IMG_4697

Eventually I decided it was pointless fishing for no fish and decided to drive the 450km back home arriving in the late afternoon.  Tomorrow will obviously be taken up with unpacking the trailer and 4WD before some serious cleaning.

 

1 comment :

Brian and Diana on NB Harnser said...

Satnav can be great, see what happened to us when the coach driver in France followed one to get us to Strasbourg

We said our farewells to the crew of the Madeleine and boarded our coach back to Strasbourg railway station. The journey was interesting to say the least as the driver didn’t know the way so followed his sat nav. This took us by not only minor roads and lanes but also some unmade single file forest tracks, Thankfully we didn’t meet a logging truck. Once he started he was committed as there was no where to turn round or even pull over.

https://dandbholidays.blogspot.com/2021/10/alsace-lorraine-7th-day-back-to-england.html