Friday 29 July 2022

Refurbish and Re-purpose

When the old roller door at the front of the garage was replaced earlier in the year I decided to keep the old door motor.  I don’t like discarding things that might prove useful at some future date.  The original door and motor were almost 40 years old and well made.  It was the roller door that had reached the end of its life.   Unlike the new door motor, which is mostly plastic, the old door motor assembly is 90% steel and aluminium.  

I refurbished the motor noting its mechanism was electrical/mechanical.  The new motor is digital with a printed circuit board.

P1020138

Today I decided to fit the old motor to the garage’s existing manual rear roller door.  This door is used infrequently as I can’t be bothered manually raising and lowering it.

The first step was to support the closed door and I made some temporary shears legs for that.

P1020139 

With the door secured I was able to remove and relocate the door end bracket which then provided sufficient space to fit the motor.

P1020140

Before

P1020142

After

The controller micro-switches will need to be adjusted as the rear door is slightly smaller.  I also need to run cabling and install a new 240V power point for the motor.

Meanwhile……… where did I carefully store the door remote control units??? Smile

2 comments :

Don said...

I hope those bricks are strong or the bolts are long as you are getting close to the edge.

Tom and Jan said...

Hi Don,

Yes the anchor bolts go through the first layer and into the second.