Monday 8 August 2022

The Wall and The Solution

Jan had a recent request.  Could I alter the end of the front garden retaining wall?  She wanted an enclosed lower lawn and garden where she could quietly work without having to worry about Molly wandering off.

The end of the existing sandstone block retaining wall was 1200mm at one end and 0mm at the other.  Essentially a triangle section.  The existing blocks were far too heavy for me to lift requiring them being broken up in-situ.  This was achieved using a heavy duty electric jack hammer borrowed from my brother-in-law.

P1020134A

Triangle shape is the location of the original wall and the rectangle is what Jan wants.  The broken up sandstone blocks are being disposed of in the hard rubbish weekly “wheelie bin” collection.  Two pieces at a time each week.  It will take several months for all of them to be removed.  Time isn’t an issue in retirement! Smile

Once I have the new wall constructed I’ll make a gate.

Australia Port delivered a large package this morning.

P1020144

I correctly guessed it would be the bike trailer Jan had ordered from www.cyclingdeal.com.au

P1020145

An initial test fit to ensure all the components were included.

Apart from the bearings in the hub of the 16” omni wheel sounding dry, everything looked fine.  It came with a very large strong carry bag which included a shoulder strap.  I had assumed the bag would be completely waterproof but the top is open.  I don’t intend filling the bag which means I should be able to roll the open top and secure it with elastic straps making a water resistant seal.

P1020149

The connection to the rear of the bike will require modification.  The trailer connection consists of a quick”-lock” axle which is designed to replace the existing axle in a convention derailleur system.  My bike now has an internally geared hub with a solid axle which is also larger diameter.

P1020146

I have identified a potential solution.  You can see the existing rear wheel securing nut (Arrow A) in the photo below.  There is also a threaded hole on the frame at point B.  I assume this is a mounting point for a bike carrier.  The threaded hole is the exact same size as the trailer axle/

Bike Axle Connections

I propose purchasing two 70mm stainless steel bolts and insert them through these threaded holes from the inside of the frame.  This will then enable me to mount the trailer locking nuts (photo below) to the frame of the bike.

bike axle connecting nut

Well that’s the plan!

2 comments :

Paul (from Waterway Routes) said...

It's difficult to judge from the photos but the attachment rod/bolt looks very thin for the load it has to carry. The weight of everything in the trailer will produce a shock loading through that every time you go over a pothole. I wonder how long it will last.

Tom and Jan said...

Paul the skewer is 5mm and will be under shear rather than tension. However, like you, I have my concerns. There is a 12 month warranty which means I need to do some testing. I'm also investigating whether I can purchase alternative coupling nuts for the rear axle.