Sunday 28 August 2022

That’s a Problem

After the recent sand dunes and beach trip it was time to wash the Isuzu.  Particularly the underneath where sand and salt will have been trapped in the nooks & cranny's.

There I was lying on my side at the rear of the vehicle using the pressure washer when I noticed a loose hose.  That didn’t look right!  Where was it from?

After removing the spare tyre and jacking up the rear I wriggled underneath.  I couldn’t see where the end of the hose was supposed to connect.  Then I noticed the left rear shock absorber piston had punched through the side of the rubber boot.  That was a concern.  I was even more concerned when I realised the top of the piston was no longer connected to the chassis.  The shock absorber was only connected at the bottom and was “floating”.  Moreover the head of the piston had been scraping on the fuel filler pipe wearing part of it away.

It took about 20 minutes to remove the shock absorber.

SA4

This is the loose hose

SA1

The shock absorber

SA2

piston head

SA3

Rubbing on the fuel tank filler pipe

Eventually I established that the loose hose end was supposed to fit onto the fuel tank breather pipe.  The shock absorber must have ripped the steel breather pipe from the end of the hose and then crushed the end of the steel pipe.  This pipe is the one identified by the lower red arrow in the above photo.

 

And on a lighter note

eat

Thanks for the invitation but I’ll pass!

No comments :