Monday 5 December 2022

Day 2 - Reconnaissance

There is a narrow and busy section of road at the northern end of the east coast and I've decided to take the train instead of risking my life on the first day of cycling.

Taiwan has special train carriages for bicycles which have to be booked in advance.  consequentially I caught the metro train to Nangang Main Station in the eastern part of Taipei.  It's an interchange station between the suburban metro and the intercity network.  Another huge station which is mostly underground.

Interestingly the entrances and exits to the metro all seem to require you to walk up a dozen steps before descending.  I assume this is to minimise the potential for flooding?

IMG_20221204_093818

I spent at least 30 minutes walking inside and around the outside of Nangang Station doing a reconnaissance on how to enter the station with a heavy bike and trailer.  I want to avoid stairs and escalators.  After that I purchased the tickets.  One for me and one for the bike.

IMG_20221204_103917

The young Taiwanese lady at the ticket counter was very helpful.  I'm finding many of the younger educated Taiwanese speak English.  The tickets cost $T405, about A$20With that tasks completed I caught the metro back to the city.

Last night I was starting to feel quite hungry, realising I hadn't eaten much.  Part of the trip is to experience Taiwanese culture and food.  I wanted to eat at the many food stalls discovering most of them don't speak English.  It was a case of "look and point" then hope for the best Smile

My first effort was disappointing.  I thought they might be wontons and noodles.  However my taste buds suggested boiled pigs intestines and miniature. dried shrimps on a bed of noodles.

IMG_20221202_181559

The second attempt was slightly better.  A quarter of a large round of what I thought might be an omelette containing vegetables.

P1020251

It was more of a slightly leaven bread with greens cooked on a hot plate.

I the afternoon I went for a sightseeing walk to Taipei 101 Tower.

P1020252 

It's a major skyline landmark.  Opened in 2004, it was the worlds tallest building until 2009.  There are 101 floors above ground with 5 below.

Opposite the tower is the Taipei Municipal Hall and the National Dr Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Hall.

IMG_20221204_131658

The building appears to be an Exhibition Centre, although there were soldiers guarding the statue of Dr Sun Yat-Sen at the south entrance to the hall.  More on Dr Sun Yat-Sen here

 P1020253

The hall is surrounded by gardens

P1020254

To the north of the hall was a large and interesting shaped building.  It looked slightly like the new Birmingham Railway Station.

P1020255

I think it is the Songshan Cultural and Creative Park.

Another visit to a 7/11 and I've bought pre-packaged pasta, chicken and seasonal vegetables for dinner tonight. 

Tomorrow will need to be an early start as I plan on cycling to Nangang Station and want to avoid the morning traffic.  I've noticed Taipei doesn't start to get busy until 10am.

No comments :