Friday 9 December 2022

Day 5 - Kenting to Jiuru

Yesterday evening I identified an issue that would need to be addressed.  Apparently hotels in Taiwan are very popular on Saturday night's.  Finding a vacancy is the first issue and the price is the second.  Saturday's in Taiwan are expensive!

Today is Friday and there isn't an issue.  However tomorrow I had planned to be midway between the coasts and there isn't much accommodation in this part of Taiwan.  I've decided to make Saturday a rest day and book two nights in the same location.

The planned itinerary had me cycling 60km from Kenting to Fanglio.  However I might change that during the day.

Breakfast came with the room and it was rather good. I had scrambled eggs with very small boys and a rash of hot ham along with diced fruit in mayo.  Bread and a toaster were available.  I needed to put my bread through three times to brown it.  Interestingly I noticed the locals were quite happy to put theirs through once to warm it.

Kenting has a warm climate and is obviously a tourist hub with a range of accommodation to suit budgets.  I was happy with mine, but I know a plumber's wife (my sister) would would want something more like the photo below.

P1020306 

I set off at 9:00AM passing Sail Rock and numerous beaches.

P1020307P1020310

And what appeared to be a nuclear power station.

P1020311

P1020308

This far south the traffic wasn't all that busy.  I noticed a large Catholic Church.  As mentioned in an earlier post; it's probably a consequence of southern Taiwan being a Portuguese colony at one stage in it's history.

A short time later I was diverted off the highway onto secondary roads.  I actually found this part of the ride very pleasant and will endeavour to repeat it.

With little traffic I could focus more on my surroundings and the first thing that caught my eye were the hills.  I plan on climbing over them and the view from sea level looks a little daunting.

P1020312

You might have seen the red dot in the above photo.  Riding closer I came upon a temple with a large Buddha statue.  All the scaffolding is actually for a new gateway entrance under construction . 

P1020313

Once back on Highway 1 I stopped taking photos.  Not only did I have to contend with all the traffic but I was also inhaling copious exhaust fumes from scooters and trucks.

I reached Fanglio at midday and had lunch in a 7/11.  The 1.5L bottle of water was emptied into my backpack bladder.  Bring the small backpack has proven to be a very good idea.  Every day I've been drinking approximately 3 litres whilst riding.  The heat and exercise make me very thirsty. 

P1020314

The small pot is yoghurt.  The label said 'orange' but the picture of the fruit was 'peach'.  It had both!

Despite reaching my destination it seemed too early to stop for the day.  I decided to press on and complete another planned section of the trip.  However I had also decided I would start looking for accommodation at 3PM.  I didn't want to be in the same position as Day 1 and be looking in the dark.  Moreover the further north I went the less accommodation would be available on Saturday.

I found a motel in Jiuru.  It's probably the most 'up market' motel I've seen.  Each room has it's own lockable garage with access from the garage up to the room.

The price for Friday night was good ($1800 [A$90]) but Saturday was $3200.  Back to $1800 on Sunday.  I don't plan to be here Sunday.

P1020316P1020315P1020317

106km today and according to my plan I'm halfway through Day 10.  But of course it's Day 5.  Therefore, despite having a rest day tomorrow I'm still ahead of schedule.

4 comments :

Jenny said...

It is so interesting seeing pictures of this country. You are certainly doing so well, twice as fast as you imagined you would pedal. So now you will have for some extra sight seeing activities.

Jenny said...

PS. And you haven't even had the chance to get your tent out yet!

Tom and Jan said...

Jenny I attempted the motel stairs this morning and my legs we made of rubber. The rest day is obviously required. However I will go out for a local walk. Probably also buy food for lunch and dinner. Hopefully the legs will have recovered by tomorrow!

Tom and Jan said...

I'm prepared to use the tent if I have to. More to the point.... How will I recharge the battery if I spend the night in a tent?