Monday 4 December 2023

eBike Problem Resolved

At the risk of repeating myself I'll explain how the bike brake system problem has been resolved.

The brake system has a function where the controller cuts power to the motor when the brakes are applied.  This makes sense as you wouldn't want the motor to continue applying power whilst you are applying the brakes.  The origin 'cut-off' system consisted of a supplied sensor being glued to the brake lever and magnets glued to the body of the brake.  When the brake is applied the lever moves the sensor away from the magnet which breaks the magnetic field activating the power cut-off to the motor.  The problem with this setup was the sensors or magnets kept separating from the bike.

Roll the clock forward two years and a manufacturer has developed a brake mechanism where the sensor and magnet are integral to the mechanism.  This seemed a good solution and for a minimal price I purchased a pair of their brake levers.  However on connecting them I found the system didn't work.  The physical brake application worked, but the sensors didn't. 

When I wrote to the supplier and explain the problem, along with photos, he offered to send me two patch leads for a nominal $1.  They arrived today.

P1030585

Brake with integral sensor and the disconnected controller cable

P1030586

A three pin connection

P1030587

Patch lead fitted

I suspect the brake lever manufacturer got the pin connection wrong.  Once the problem was identified the patch leads were made correcting it.

P1030588

Now when the brakes are applied the motor cuts out and a small red icon appears on the display.

P1030589

Release the brakes and the icon disappears.   Yes, the bottom of the display is correct.  Yesterday I rode 76.1km in 2:50.  Today I'm feeling the effects Smile

2 comments :

Mike Griffin said...

Hi
You may have one, but my boating friend who cycles in London has real problems with , other cyclists, invalid scooters, cars and all, mainly overtaking him. He bought a rear view camera , he finds it's brill but had one or to observations so wrote a mixed review. within a few days helpful comments from the makers appeared and some free upgrades.........too many for one bike, so he gave one set to me for my garden tractor....brill! Might help you if you don't have one.......

Tom and Jan said...

Hi Mike
The bike seems OK with the added patch leads. I'm now attempting to understand the new camera.