Tuesday 30 April 2024

Open Live Writer Solved!

With Google blocking Open Live Writer to Blogger I was seriously contemplation giving up blogging.  (who reads this rubbish anyway).  However I persisted with my efforts to find a solution and eventually identified the problem.   It was actually rather simple!  

When I downloaded OLW from the official site it was version 0.6.2.   Upon checking the version on the old laptop I discovered it was version 0.6.3.   After searching through all my stored data (Yes… I’m a hoarder) I found a previously downloaded copy of 0.6.3 which I installed.   Google then authorised access from OLW to Blogger.

Meanwhile I’ve been pulling the last of my hair out with a media server problem.  I had the Raspberry Pi 5 configured as a network media streamer with four externally attached USB hard drives full of video files.   I successfully ran the new server in parallel to the original desktop server for a two week trial before dismantling the original server.  Two days later the new server stopped working!  The operating system was ‘frozen’ and I couldn’t reboot it.  Eventually I was forced to dismantle the Raspberry Pi to get it working discovering one of the attached hard drives had failed locking up the system.  To cut a long story short a week has been spent attempting to rectify the various contributing issues.

During this period Jan’s coffee maker started to leak.   Could it be fixed?  The user manual doesn’t provide any advice on how to dismantle the machine.  After hours of ‘trial and error’ the machine was completely disassembled enabling it to be inspected, cleaned and rather quickly reassembled.  It now works!

coffee

The ‘pod’ holder part of the machine choked with coffee 

During this period Jan asked if I could install timber skirting boards in the house.  The walls are plastered double brick.  Without skirting boards to protect the base of the walls the vacuum cleaner chips away at the plaster.

skirting

small part of the project

There are two things I should mention.  Fixing the skirting boards was achieved by drilling and plugging the brick walls before screwing the boards to the plugs.  Three quarters of the way through the project my brother visited us and informed me I was doing the work “the old way”.  The “modern” way is to glue the boards which you paint before fitting Sad smile.  The second point is…. Jan has offered to completed the filling, sanding and painting part. (I might have got that wrong!)

 

I’ve also noticed the engine on the lawnmower is surging.  Another job! 

No comments :