Monday 26 March 2012

Cutting back more of the spray foam

It was a lovely quiet morning, too good an opportunity to miss going for a walk.  My route took me to Woolhampton then Midgham before finding a footpath that took me in a northerly direction and then east. 

Along the way I came upon this horse.  Not being equine orientation I was puzzled by its headgear.  My initial thought was it had something wrong with it’s eyes.  Perhaps a recent operation?  The horse could obviously hear me as it kept facing towards my location.

I decided to consider the situation in more detail and rested my forearms on the fence.  I’d become fixated over the horse and failed to notice the top strand was electric.  As a consequence I lost all interest in the damned horse!

Down one country lane this pretty cottage caught my attention.

Walking provides an opportunity to contemplate what has been completed on Waiouru and also reconsider future plans.  One concern has been the length of the cross-over bed.  Naturally we want it as long as possible.  I realised the vertical timber battens on the steel framing below the gunwales was using 2” of the interior width of the boat.  Reading Marine had already mentioned they didn’t fit timber battens to the steel but instead insulated the steel with tape and then directly screwed the plywood to the steel frame.  If we did this in the bedroom we could “reclaim”  two inches of internal width.

This afternoon I removed the vertical timber battens off the steel framing in the bedroom and cut back the spray foam.  The foam is still more than an inch thick so that isn’t a problem.

I also discovered more spray foam in one section that hadn’t bonded to the hull (right arrow) so this was removed.  The remaining spray foam was cut back to the thickness of the steel framing (middle arrow).  The bulkhead (partition) between the bathroom and the bedroom will be set back an additional inch on either side of the boat thereby giving us an additional 2” of width in the bedroom.

Late in the afternoon Ruth and Gary (the owners of nb Molly) visited and we had a very pleasant time discussing many boating related matters.  Gary also kindly showed me a few more features aboard Molly which we will be able to employ whilst she is our temporary home. 

4 comments :

Anonymous said...

The hoods for the horse is to keep the flies from their eyes, the flies drink the fluid from the eye. This causes infection and irritation
bwp

Tom and Jan said...

They have files in England!! Where have they been hiding?

There are millions of flies in Australia and I've never seen a horse wearing one of these hoods!

Maybe English horses are soft :-)

Bruce in Sanity said...

Just because we look after our quality horses, not like the bunch of brumbies you call horses in Oz…

;-}}}

Seriously, it's only done for the very fine bred beasts, not for the general run of hacks.

Cheers

Bruce

Tom and Jan said...

There just seems something wrong with the notion that being a well breed and sophisticated girl means you have to wear a bag over your head :-)