Saturday 17 March 2012

Something to walk on

Richard, James and I installed the floor this morning.  They did all the technical and heavy work whilst I restricted myself to screwing down the ply sheets.
They work well as a team and, like all good tradesmen, carefully think about the task before actually starting work.  The strategy was to run a chalk line down the boat and work from that.  This avoided potential problems associated with any irregularities in the side battens.  The run of sheets is a mixture of full length and partial to ensure the ends of each sheet meet at a cross batten.
After each sheet had been tacked in place with a screw I ran chalk lines longitudinally and then across the boat creating a matrix.  This ensured all the screws are exactly in line and the same distance apart.  It wasn’t necessary to do this but I’m a pedantic bast*rd!  If we’re going to all the trouble to build a boat then I feel it’s worth making the additional effort to ensure it’s right!
Later in the afternoon Richard and James manufactured and fitted the floor section on top of the blackwater tank.
They have carefully allowed for the tank connection.  At the rear are the pump out, rinse and breather pipes.  The inlet from the toilet is at the front on the opposite side.
Whilst they were fitting the floor Jan and I made a start trimming back the spray foam on the ceiling.  It started to look a lot like Christmas We got completely covered in tiny beads of foam.  Half the ceiling was completed before I was too tired to continue totally stuffed! 
Jan and I will finish cutting back the ceiling on Sunday.  On Monday Richard, Andy and I will mark out the floor.  Hopefully the wiring will be fitted later the same week.

7 comments :

Gareth said...

Watching your attention to detail at this level of the build is great. Everything looks so good.

Tom and Jan said...

I'm very impressed with the high standard of work being produced by Richard and James.

Nb Duxllandyn said...

You seem to be progressing in leaps and bounds!
I can imagine that you are both quite weary but the exhilaration of seeing Wairouru take shape again must be great.
I am still practicing with the knitted squares:-). (and following your blog with daily interest!)
Marian
Nb Duxllandyn

Tom and Jan said...

Hi Marian,
Jan hopes you were able to work out how to knit the squares.
Yes, we were told there would be a "flurry" of activity and that is what we appear to have. Let's hope it continues!
Tom

Nb Duxllandyn said...

Hello again
Jan ...your knitting instructions were great and I have successfully knitted several single squares. I fail sadly when I try to start a second square. Your finished article where all the squares are neatly joined and all the 'lines' match beautifully is truly a creation of a master!
I'm currently at home in gloomy Kent trying hard to complete some decorating but we hope to return to the boat in a couple of weeks. That is when my needle crafts will get the most dedicated time and attention. I plan to go armed with some beautiful wooden knitting needles ( a birthday gift) and some yarn of sunshine colours - that should sort it :-)).
Have just read your Flora and Fauna blog - wow!!!
Very scary!
Have a good week both of you.
Marian

Tom and Jan said...

Hi Marian,

Jan wanted to know whether you had realised the second square starts by picking up half the stitches from the first square. It took Jan a week to work it out the first time (using the same instructions handed down through the family).
Next time she starts knitting squares I'll attempt to take some photos. But you will have probably solved the conundrum by then :-)
Enjoy your new needles. Recently Jan started using bamboo needles. The steel needles were aggravating her arthritis.
Regards
Tom

Nb Duxllandyn said...

More pictures would be great - many thanks Jan.
I think I sort of got the idea but .... Definitely need to practice.
Marian